Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Music wanted - WILL PAY!

This topic is 4968 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I''m looking for dramatic ancient sound. leather drums, flutes, wind sounds and haunting effect etc IF you think your good enough there''s a 100 pounds in it for accetable demo. princeps@dodo.com.au

Guest Anonymous Poster
What''s the general style you''re going for? Classical, something Japanese, Native American? Just give us some basic info, what is it we''re trying to help someone picture or feel?

How about some length ideas, is ''acceptable'' 3-5 minutes? or is it an hour? Should it be several pieces or one? If several, what are the necessary differences between them? should they be contrasting or similar?

You can''t just say "Write me music, use these instruments." and that''s it, you''ll never be happy with the result because there''s not enough information to let someone know what it is you''re really going for.

We don''t need a complete step by step analysis or design document or anything, but a bit more to go on is going to be needed before anyone would have any idea where to start.

What format do you need? MP3? WAV? just a CD? DAT? Analog?

What is this for?

Does it need to be loopable? Should it sync up with something?

Just some things to think about.

Hi, I''ll give the info I''m giving everyone else .. it won''t be easy but you never know.

I''m creating an ancient wargame, Greeks Romans etc and am looking for a proper tune to enhance the game. Music can do that. I have 3D models of soldiers in formation and they advance and fight. So far I have Spartan Greeks in a phalanx formation (large block)

In ancient battles, the Spartan hoplite phalanx would march silently towards the enemy, keeping instep, listening to the tune of the flutes. The tune was probably heroic to inspire the men ??? And there probably was also a drummer to keep the beat????????) (low beat ,leather drum?)

So the tune could go something like this;

(1) start with a drum beat (implying men marching to battle)

(2) then a pan flute joins in, playing some upbeat / inspiring tune.(phalanx moving towards the enemy)

(3) then a moment of silence (moment of silence before the storm)

(4) hectic sound of battle, quick beat drums, high pitched squeals (screams of pain /yelling), flutes going nuts ... you get the idea.

(5) climax - final loud beats .. something, not sure?

(6) silence (wind?)

(7) then pan flute playing some sad, slow, haunting tune of death and sorrow.

... EASY!! ... LOL! LOL!

Seriously, the above is what I was hoping for but a subset probably would suffice?

I will probably loop the tune as a background for the game and as an intro.

You might to also listen to HOLST : MARS to get an idea.

WAV but MP3 would be nice length? probably not too short to be annoying when played in aloop?

It''s a pity you''re offering pounds...because I live in America.

Still, I could probably pull something out for you using some instruments I have sitting around in my room(like the leather head drum, flutes and bamboo recorders, etc).

Now, given your list of moods and such for the song...I''d say it would be rather difficult to loop it properly because of the last three things listed. You have the climax which would be right towards the end of the battle, then you would have the silence which is the calmness in the air after the battle ends where you can hear screams of fallen soldiers/warriors still clinging to life, and then finally end it with a soft and sad melody on a solo flute to symbolize the sorrow in war.

Looping back to the start of a battle after that would be quite difficult to do(it''s possible, but ...difficult).

Peace.

100 pounds translates to approx. US$186

A high price yes but I'm looking for quality music .. average stuff won't be accepted.

Something that has a great, catchy tune and will blend in with my ancient wargame theme, enhancing it, setting the correct atmosphere .. if you get my drift? quality Music can make a game /movie!

I will also need a signed statement that's it your work and I have right to use it.

[edited by - thickshake on February 20, 2004 11:45:54 PM]

Ok, Thickshake. I''m willing to give it a go. Try the samples on my audio page and if you think I''ve got the goods then email me and we''ll take it from there eh? Someone already told me one of my downloads (Deep Space) sounds like Holst but you be can be the judge.
I''m serious about what I do and I''m not a time-waster. I just finished music for a game called "Cupids Match-Up" by http://www.endbossgames.com

Mick.

Pro music for FILM, GAMES, MULTIMEDIA.
Free mp3 samples at:
http://micktaylormuzik.tripod.com

As this tune will also be a background for the game, it might need to be padded with some quiet periods / wind noise ???

I will test each tune by adding it my wargame and then playing it. The impressions I want are

(1) Initial surprise (good catchy tune) as game starts.
(2) Correct atmophere - music and game / graphics work together to give a Ancient / battle feel, each enhances each other.
(3) Not to annoying while game is being played as tune becomes a back drop.

Hope I'm not being too anal?

[edited by - thickshake on February 22, 2004 10:10:35 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''ve read just now your add...
i could be interested in your project
please check my site at
www.keyes.it

best regards
Kristian Sensini

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by thickshake
As this tune will also be a background for the game, it might need to be padded with some quiet periods / wind noise ???

I will test each tune by adding it my wargame and then playing it. The impressions I want are

(2) Correct atmophere - music and game / graphics work together to give a Ancient / battle feel, each enhances each other.

Hope I''m not being too anal?

<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - thickshake on February 22, 2004 10:10:35 PM]</SPAN>

I think you need atleast 2 songs, cuase a good title/maintheme is not the same as a good backgound/in game theme...

Sure, you could use 1 for 2 purposes, but that doesnt sound...right.

Ive listened to all of the composers intresteed in making this music, and so far none is really good...

Hehe, just had to let you know^^

/Felix

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by thickshake

Hope I''m not being too anal?

<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - thickshake on February 22, 2004 10:10:35 PM]</SPAN>

I think you need atleast 2 songs, cuase a good title/maintheme is not the same as a good backgound/in game theme...

Sure, you could use 1 for 2 purposes, but that doesnt sound...right.

Ive listened to all of the composers intresteed in making this music, and so far none is really good...

Hehe, just had to let you know^^

/Felix

And you are good?

Ok, in response to the 2 tunes, one for main menu and the other as a background tune for the game, I was planning on playing the music at normal volume intially on the main menu but cut it to half volume when being played in the game.

This works for Holst: Mars so I can accept this but if you''d like to produce 2 music tracks then I''m not complain''in Just as long as they work.

Another point, If you would like to add a Gods-piece during the sorrowful / haunting section (like the gods are laughing /talking) at/with the dead, then give it a go. What do I mean by gods music piece?? In the move Nero, when the insane Nero was listend for the gods, you''d hear weird / 4th dimensional faint laughing / talking etc .. it worked very well!

Remember, I will only take the best and there are a few musicians producing demo tracks so don''t be disappointed if your not selected. I have already had a few tracks to try and I''ve asked for alterations on all of them, so don''t wait till the last minute to send me a demo track. I''m more than willing to work with you to get the best track.

There''s is no time limit but I''d like to have something by mid March?

Guest Anonymous Poster
"Ive listened to all of the composers intresteed in making this music, and so far none is really good..."

is that right felix? there''s some guys posting great stuff here. post some of your music up, we''d all love to hear it. did you listen to the micktaylormusic stuff. his stuff is very good.

Guest Anonymous Poster
"is that right felix? there''s some guys posting great stuff here. post some of your music up, we''d all love to hear it. did you listen to the micktaylormusic stuff. his stuff is very good."

First of, I suck at music making.

Second: What I meant was something like: the composers here does not sound proffesional, they are not bad but not...great.

Mabye I was a little mean and hard, you all composers dont suck, sorry..

Here is a tune I made: http://freddah.myftp.org/ufo/felix/mystiskasvampar.it

I think It would fit "thickshake"´s epic game very well....

/Felix

Link's not working, but maybe that's my dl program making fun of me.

But I have to ask how you can complain that the others don't sound professional enough (I take it you mean not professional enough for this job), then post an .it file which suddenly will fit very well - .it files are horribly outdated by today's standards.

In any case, it's okay to grab some spotlight for yourself; just don't do it at others' expense.

EDIT: Okay, now the links works. Now I have to ask you how you can complain that the others are not professional enough, then post a video-game-anno-1985 type tune that you think fits very well?

Looking for a music composer for your game? Go to my page to listen to samples of my orchestral pieces and find info on how to contact me.

[edited by - Vaevictis_A on February 26, 2004 5:38:35 PM]

[edited by - Vaevictis_A on February 26, 2004 5:40:58 PM]

[edited by - Vaevictis_A on February 26, 2004 5:43:55 PM]

I have to agree with Vaevictis(sp?) about it not sounding anything remotely better than you commented on.

http://zack.eg-games.com/Demo%2024.mp3
http://zack.eg-games.com/Demo%2022.mp3

Now, I haven't even bothered trying to make a song according to thickshake's description because I have too much other stuff going on right now...otherwise I would've already finished it.

Visit my site.

[edited by - CBlockDis on February 26, 2004 10:51:25 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
"In any case, it''s okay to grab some spotlight for yourself; just don''t do it at others'' expense."

I put a tune up cuase someone in this thread asked me to.

"But I have to ask how you can complain that the others don''t sound professional enough (I take it you mean not professional enough for this job), then post an .it file which suddenly will fit very well - .it files are horribly outdated by today''s standards."

Mabye you all are "proffesional" enough for this job (this doesnt seam very serious), but you are not proffesionals and youre music doesnt sound proffesional, thats all Im saying and it´s just my opinion.´

"Okay, now the links works. Now I have to ask you how you can complain that the others are not professional enough, then post a video-game-anno-1985 type tune that you think fits very well?"

I thought it was very obvious when I said my shitty chip tune would fit a epic game, that I was being ironic...

It was a bad joke, sorry.

ok, a long contest but 4 finalists have been selected. They are, in alphabetical order;

http://home.iprimus.com.au/hastati/Bloodlust.mp3
http://home.iprimus.com.au/hastati/Epic_Ancient_Battle2.mp3
http://home.iprimus.com.au/hastati/TheArtOfWar.mp3
http://home.iprimus.com.au/hastati/War_Full3.mp3

Remember these are the tracks I prefer and are here out of merit. Some are complex, some are simple but all fit well into my ancient wargame theme. The tune that wins is the one that will fit best into my game.

Please listen to them but keep your comments short and positive. Anonymous sledging will be ignored.

I am posting here because money''s involved and I would like 3rd party opinions.

Wait.. Thikshake.. i thought you said the contest will run until the 12th of March? You also had a post that said there are 4 finalists... what''s going on? Do i still have until the 12th to send in a submission?

thanks
vaisnava@hotmail.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
yup. definitely the second one epic ancient battle. whats your game going to be called? hey vaisnava, check your calendar.
Josh.