Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPL vs LGPL?

This topic is 5047 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but i think it should be ok. Recently i heard of the devil image loading library and looked at its features. I desperately wanted to move away from using bmps because they dont support alpha channels and are pretty large. Also i absolutely hate loading or playing around with binary files, so devil seemed like the perfect library which was capable of loading lots and lots of file formats. However, it is LGPL. I dont really understand the difference between the GPL and LGPL license. Does this mean that if i use a LGPL library in my programs, i have to make it open source? Or i have to make it free? Someone told me that by just linking a GPL library, i have to make the rest of my programs code open source.

Ive been to that page and as with most law related stuff, they make it sound alot more complicated then it should be.

So basically, as long as you use GPL code in your project, you have to make your whole project open source.

But i also read somewhere that if you were to dynamically compile GPL code with your project, you need not release your projects source code?

As for LGPL, as long as i dont modify it and use it as it is, i dont need to release anything,

if i do modify the LPGL code, i only need to release that modified code and my projects source code need not be released. Am i right?

quote:
Original post by GamerSg
But i also read somewhere that if you were to dynamically compile GPL code with your project, you need not release your projects source code?

No; if by dynamically compile you mean dynamic linking, then the GPL restriction still applies: you may only use it in other GPL projects. The dynamic linking distinction exists because of the LGPL, which allows this.

Look here.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]