report writing

Started by
2 comments, last by BlimeyOReilly 20 years, 1 month ago
hey everybody, im currently in my final year at university making a 3D computer game for my final year project. Which means ive gotta write a beast (25k words) of a report, which i aint too good at really. Are there any good examples of report writing particularly for the creation of computer games. i.e the whole process, background research , design and implentation on the internet? Cheers for any help!
Advertisement
My suggestion is to keep a journal.

Each week in the project, write down the ideas you tried, tested or implemented.

Record the articles you read, and your thoughts on them.

Relate the errors you encountered and how you solved them.

Doing this as you go reduces the work at the end of the year to a simple tidying up job.

Report tools may not help in view of their learning curve and requirements to write code in a way that may not be how your tutor requires it.

Stevie

Don''t follow me, I''m lost.
StevieDon't follow me, I'm lost.
Start with an outline for your report. List all the different aspects of your project.

Then each part of your project will look something like this:
Introduction - what the part does
Problems - write up some of the problems you had developing that part. Then explain how you solved that problem
Future additions - what can be improved upon including how you''d improve it.
Conclusion - basically the Introduction again. Talk about how that part of the project improves upon the project as a whole.

Then wrap the whole thing with an abstract, table of contents, an introduction to the project at large, and a conclusion for the entire project. Before you know it, you''ll be up to 20k words and only have a relatively small amount of bullshitting to do.
Look up "Design Document"; It sounds very close to what you need.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement