Pixel & Vertex Shaders

Started by
4 comments, last by _zed 20 years, 2 months ago
Whether there are on internet any sites devoted to studying shaders? I want to learn more about shaders, but I don''t know from what to begin... P.S.: sorry for bad English
Advertisement
You can start by reading this series:
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/hardcore/dxshader1/

Good luck!
There''s also a small very basic vertex shader tutorial here if you''re intrested.
[size=2]aliak.net
If you want to learn Cg, there''s a great book called the Cg Tutorial, it''s written by the guys from nvidia themselves, and it''s chock full of cool shader tricks. Course, you may not want to use Cg, and stick with assembly code. But personally I''ve found Cg to be much more straightforward to code in and understand, despite a few issues I have with the compiler.

-Zaya
For DirectX, you should be using HLSL instead of Cg. For many myriad reasons, including compiled performance on all targets.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
I second that as well. HLSL is more "compact" than Cg, and since you have internal support for it in DirectX via the D3DXEffect interface, it''s much easier to implement than Cg.

I actually started with Cg but later switched over to HLSL. "The Cg Tutorial" is definately a good book. You might want to look into it as well. Though the shaders are in Cg, you can easily "apply" them to HLSL, with a couple of additions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement