Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SETI@Home Speeds

This topic is 5044 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m WAY confused. I''m running SETI@Home on my computers here at work, and on my new Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM machine at home. For those of you who have used SETI@Home, you''ll know that it downloads a chunk of data from the main SETI@Home website, then spends a few hours crunching that data, then submits the results back to the central website. Well, here at work, my P4 2.4GHz 510MB RAM machine runs a full data chunk in less than 6 hours of CPU time. I have it set to run 100% of the time, so that it will run in the background when I''m programming, debugging, etc. It has not made any noticeable difference in my machine''s performance. However, when I run it on my machine at home the average time for a data chunk is over 25 hours of CPU time! I discovered that I couldn''t have it running 100% of the time, because it would slow down other applications I had running (like DAoC, Star Wars Galaxies, Warcraft III, etc). I am completely baffled why this is so. Is there such a differece between the P4 and the Athlon XP that something like SETI@Home would take 5 times longer to run?? I find that hard to believe. Perhaps there''s some setting on my home machine that I can tweak? NOTE: Please do not turn this thread into a Pentium/AMD bash. I merely ask for some help in understanding what may be going wrong. Thanks!
I am always open to feedback, positive or negative...

athlon xp 2400 here and i need ~8hrs per unit, running it in the background... but there are some things that will slow it down: if you do something that needs the cpu, seti wont get it (obvious), and if the window/output is present it will run slower

T2k

Are you sure you don''t have your machine set to shutdown/suspend/etc after a certain amount of time? If you have a screensaver, it may be sucking up CPU. If you have a virus scanner scheduled to do a full scan at night, etc.

What is the memory of those machines? Is the Pentium 4 RDRAM, or perhaps dual-DDR, while the Athlon is DDR266? The Pentium 4/2.4 GHz has 400 or 533 MHz front side bus, whereas the Athlon has 266, which will slow it down if it''s very memory bound.

Other things to try might include running something like Sandra, and measuring it with VTune, on both machines, and compare where the time is spent and what the scores are.

There are some WUs that take REALLY long, and some that only take an hour or so... maybe you just got some long ones.

I keep it running in the background all the time, and it takes me about 6 hours a unit. Its default configuration is to run low priority, so it''s not really going to slow down your apps much, if at all. I never have slow-down problems.

What really bothers me is that I sent in my password request because I recently signed up, and I never got my password... I tried again today and I get a 500 error, and I looked in the ''class'' list for the day I registered and my name''s not there... I hope I''m in the database. I completed 5 WUs, and they show on my profile page, but I don''t know what''s going on with the whole password thing.

1.8GHz P4
512MB RAM

Those of you who are familiar with SETI@home will know that the program only records how many actual processor cycles it uses. So if the computer goes into suspend mode, the clock stops keeping time until the program starts up again. So that couldn''t be why it''s taking 25+ hours.

My home machine is using 512 MB of DDR 333 RAM.

i do a unit in 2.5 hours.. xp 2700. dunno why your system would be so much slower, although its tough to say since you didnt give much information beyond cpu ;p

That''s why I''m asking--what else might affect the performance? It appears that my CPU and RAM should be running this application at a screaming fast rate.