Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VC++ .NET - Frelled-up Friend Functions (Solved)

This topic is 5042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright. I'm working with an SDK which makes use of friend functions. I'm a newbie C++ programmer -- this is literally my first C++ project after "Hello World" -- but up until now the SDK's been this nice black box, and I've had no trouble getting things done. Then I upgraded from VC++ 5.0 to VC++ .NET 2003. Attempting to compile my imported project, I got a ton of "C3767: [Name] matching function is not accessible." errors. I applied the described fix to the .h file with the problem -- took the friend functions out of the class they were defined in, leaving a declaration, and then defined them outside of the class. So I try to rebuild, and I get a ton of LNK 4006: already defined in object, for what looks like all the functions I moved. Oh, and LNK2005's, too. Obviously I did something wrong with my fix, and I suspect the exact nature of the wrongness may be equally obvious to an experienced C++ programmer... but I'm stumped. I'd appreciate whatever help anyone can offer. [edited by - Logodae on February 23, 2004 12:23:36 PM]

Post the code. Just a hunch, but it sounds like your moving the declaration outside the class in the header, which will cause a linker error when you include it multiple times. You should move the declarations to a source file instead of defining them in the header.