Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best 3D Game Engine - Torque vs AMP2 vs PowerRender

This topic is 4951 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Which one do you think is the best 3D game engine affordable for independent developers? - Torque (100$) - AMP2 (200$) - PowerRender (89$) I''m not new to programming but to game 3d engines and would like to start out with the best available. Torque''s demo to me seemed to be the most impressive, but are there maybe still more reasonably priced engines out there that I didn''t find via Google?

This is how it starts. You search the net looking for 3rd party engines for a couple of months before finally deciding none of them suit your project or aren''t good enough and finally write one yourself It happens to most people!

All good ideas, however writting an engine is not something you should enter lightly. Those engines you''ve listed have many years of refinement and though put into them. Even if you decide to write your own, i would suggest investing in atleast one of them to give yourself a template to which you can refer too. Like how to intergrate a scripting core, writting a UI engine, or making your game multiplayer friendly. All those issues have been addressed by Torque, and perhaps the others too. Given 6 months would you rather write your own, or spend 3 months learning one and 3 months writting your game? BTW i suggest you get Torque as it has a thriving developement community and is farily stable.

Good Luck!

-ddn

Thanks a lot for the answers, I decided on going with Torque for now.
Although I stepped upon another engine that was really impressive: the Cipher engine, at www.cipherengine.com. (It looks even better than Torque I think, featuring Shaders etc., but doesn''t seem to have an equally big community/documentation for support)

Torque is good just try and make a good game with it or else you end up paying a-lot more then most people want for a commerical license fee, assuming one day you sell it of course, and if you don't make more then it then thats bad >.< just to keep in mind

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on February 21, 2004 11:33:16 PM]

OGRE is quite nice, however it isn''t a game engine.. and the original poster did say ''game engine'' ( it''s a graphics engine ).

I haven''t had much practical experience with the other ones that people have mentioned, though I did give the Cipher Engine a cold shoulder because they were fairly weak on the public documentation and I didn''t believe in shelling out cash before seeing more details.

Also, the type of game you''re developing will greatly influence which ''game engine'' you think is the best. A lot of games are simply too specific in their own right to use most game engines completely right out of the box without issue.

.z

quote:
Original post by mittens
Agree does I.

Aren''t you supposed to say ''Agree do I'' ?
(english isnt my first language, I just want to be sure ^^)

quote:
Original post by DevLiquidKnight
Torque is good just try and make a good game with it or else you end up paying a-lot more then most people want for a commerical license fee, assuming one day you sell it of course, and if you don''t make more then it then thats bad >.< just to keep in mind

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on February 21, 2004 11:33:16 PM]

What are you talking about? That made no sense.

Exactly, if you or your publisher have sales of >= 500k then 10k should not be a problem.

Besides 99% of game projects never reach a publisher anyway, so the license fee isn''t an issue.

hi,
can anyone tell about the 2d capability of torque game engine. didn''t c any "sprite" mention in their site.
looking to devleope an 2d strategy base game(like ssi artof war-smaller size of course) then an 3d game (like sub688)
nice to meet u guy :?