Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hacking

This topic is 5046 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

K, now, before I continue my post, by hacking I don''t mean getting into someone else''s computer and destroying it. I simply mean to hack my game to give me a few slight advantages My question is, how does one hack? I don''t know the first thing about it, anyone care to enlighten me on harmless hacking? ------------------------------------------------------------ .:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.

I really don''t understand what you''re trying to do. If you mean you want to disable copy protection in your game or modify it in any way, then you are reffering to "cracking", not hacking. Look it up.

Depends in which regard you''re trying to hack a game. You can read the data of a savegame in a hexeditor, figuring out the format and writing a trainer. Being more complex, you can even disassemble the game code and write tools that change certain values in memory while the game is running. Hacking multiplayer games sometimes comes down to catching the network packets and modifying them...there''s no one way of hacking something.

-Luctus

Statisticly seen, most things happens to other people.
[Mail]

He wants to cheat.

And i quote:-

Q: How do I hack *insert commercial product here*?

A: If you''re not skilled enough or are too lazy to play the game legitimately, we''re wondering how you found this forum. We suggest that you google search another random site, because we''re not going to tell you.

Naw, that''s just style.

And yes legitimate playing is fun, but I don''t hack for the sake of cheating, I hack for the sake of hacking.

Cracking, hacking, oh like I know. If I knew I wouldn''t be asking

Anyhow, I want to find the variables that contain weap info hp and such things in memory while the game is running and *ahem* alter them to my advantage. Anyone know?

------------------------------------------------------------
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.

Thats a Hex Editor (works solely for Single Player games tho that have save files). And if your looking to hack say something like Half Life, find it out your own damn self.

quote:
Original post by v0dKA

And yes legitimate playing is fun, but I don''t hack for the sake of cheating, I hack for the sake of hacking.

.....and *ahem* alter them to my advantage.

Yes, that would be cheating.

quote:
Original post by v0dKA
Naw, that''s just style.

Cracking, hacking, oh like I know. If I knew I wouldn''t be asking

Anyhow, I want to find the variables that contain weap info hp and such things in memory while the game is running and *ahem* alter them to my advantage. Anyone know?

The sake of hacking? Really... what does that mean. Please explain... how bout you just play the game right for the sake of playing it right (owned!)

- DarkNebula

quote:
Original post by Empirical
quote:
Original post by v0dKA

.....and *ahem* alter them to my advantage.

Yes, that would be cheating.

tbh, in single player he can cheat all he wants, at the end of the day its only ''imself he is cheating
if its for MP then it aint gonna work, any half sane MP game lets the server handle damnage done, all the client does is say ''X fire here with weapon Y at time Z''
(I''m sure most of us knew that already however )

hacking for the sake of hacking - When it's not playing the game that's fun, but the hacking it.

The game is an example. Doesn't have to be a game, gimme anything to hack for christs sake! Most of you are more concerned with calling me a cheater rather than saying how to hack.

Let's all forget about the game. Say, uh, Notepad. How would one hack that?

[edited by - v0dKA on February 20, 2004 8:11:13 PM]

vodka, i understand your plight, but for pete''s sake use updated vocabulary. hacking has a negative connotation these days .

using..erhm..."modifying.." or..uh...yeah

quote:
Original post by v0dKA
Let''s all forget about the game. Say, uh, Notepad. How would one hack that?

1. Study assembly extensively.
2. Dissasemble.
3. Hope that it works.
4. Modify.
5. Assemble.

"Unfortunatly, when I sent the email, instead of writing "Best Regards" I ended up writing "Best Retards." - boolean

The reason why i keep saying cheating is the use of this wording...

quote:
contain weap info hp and such things in memory while the game is running and *ahem* alter them to my advantage.

Changing things to your advantage is what I call cheating.

But if it was just an example I applogise.

[edited by - Empirical on February 20, 2004 8:18:14 PM]

quote:
Original post by Empirical
The reason why i keep saying cheating is the use of this wording...

quote:
contain weap info hp and such things in memory while the game is running and *ahem* alter them to my advantage.

Changing things to your advantage is what I call cheating.

But if it was just an example I applogise.

He''s said it like three times already: He does not care what he gets out of it, he just wants the experience of "hacking."

"Unfortunatly, when I sent the email, instead of writing "Best Regards" I ended up writing "Best Retards." - boolean

It''s aright

This post was starting to head towards massive flamage.

Anyone know a "modifying" guide that hasn''t been deleted by the government?

quote:
Original post by v0dKA
It''s aright

This post was starting to head towards massive flamage.

Nah! Its all friendly

quote:
Anyone know a "modifying" guide that hasn''t been deleted by the government?

cowsarenotevil basicaly said it. If you want to change a program you will have to disasemble it. If you want to change saved data you need a hex editor.

quote:
Original post by Cipher3D
hacking has a negative connotation these days
Only with journalists, the general public and other idiot types.

There are several approaches to hacking, which work for different applications based on the structure/architecture of said app, thus causing there to be no hacking "how-to".

1. Hex editing
Number is an abstract concept. The number you know as "2" doesn''t refer to the quantity or magnitude of anything in particular; it just is - a scalar value. For most counting systems using Arabic numerals we represent it as "2", but in binary (base 2) we represent it as "10". In Hexadecimal (16) base it''s still "2", but to distinguish it from decimal "2" we either append an "h" or prefix with "0x". The fourth common number base in computing is octal, base 8, indicated by a "0" prefix. In any base, there is no digit with a value equal to the base; the highest digit value is base - 1 (15 for hex, 9 for decimal, 7 for octal, 1 for binary).

Yes, this is obvious. What may not be so obvious is that displaying the same data in hex takes up less space than it would in binary. Hexadecimal number display is dense. It also translates easily to binary, as 1 hex digit represents a 4-digit binary number. Consequently, editors for examining and altering a programs values display data in hex. The data is typically displayed in 2-digit groupings, which maps perfectly to 32-bit system word size (older hex editors from 16-bit DOS days had no grouping - just pages and pages of hex digits; prior to 16-bit microprocessors, hex editors didn''t really make much sense since they displayed more than a system word).

Grab a hex editor and open up a simple "Hello, world!" application. You''re not going to see anything familiar in pure hex view, but since we''re often looking for strings modern hex editors juxtapose both hex and ASCII views of the data. This means that, jumbled in with random numerical values and odd letters, you''ll see the words "Hello, world!" in the application binary. Now change it to something else of the same length, save the file and run the application. Wonder as different text is displayed.

Congratulations, you''ve just (been) hacked.

2. Variables
Changing static text isn''t particularly useful for much. What you want is to locate particular data - HP, for instance. You need a slightly different kind of hex editor now, one that can examine arbitrary regions of memory. The objective is to monitor the RAM allocated by the application to determine what address-values change consistently with whatever stat you wish to track. Here''s a tip: the offset of that address from the beginning of the block of memory allocated by the application will be constant for each invocation of the application. It will not be constant overall, so you need to know where the memory allocation for your target program begins. Typically, you will want to start your memory examination program before the target app to determine this offset.

Once you''ve located this value, try changing it while the program is running. Unless there is some verification routine in the code, you should see changes commensurate to your actions in the application.

Congratulations, you can now inflate HP, freeze timers, etc on a local application.

3. Messages (Windows)
Microsoft Visual C++ (and, of course, Visual Studio) comes with an interesting little application called Spy++. Spy++ allows you to focus any application window and examine the message pump, seeing (and optionally logging) the messages sent to the window. It also displays the execution threads, which can be individually examined for their message queues. Intercepting a message destined for a particular message queue is known as hooking. Search the web for detailed information on Windows hooks.

4. Networks
The glorious days of hacking networked games are over. Any game worth the price on the box does all the simulation server-side, only taking user input from and sending rendering information to the local machine. If you can find an older application that is still vulnerable, then you can install a packet sniffer on your own machine (please, please, please only target the sniffer at your own machine; targeting random addresses on the Internet can get you into massive trouble - including retaliation from a blackhat in the wild). You''ll need a portscanner to determine what port the application uses to connect to the ''net. Point your sniffer at this port on IP address 127.0.0.1 (or whatever IP your machine is broadcasting to the ''net).

Side note: If all you do is observe and log the traffic over a port for the purpose of interpreting it yourself, then you are merely reverse engineering the network application. This is the basis of many of the alternative MSN, Yahoo! and AOL Instant Messengers clients out there. Hacking the application requires sending bogus data back to the application, causing it to do unexpected (though not necessarily harmful) things. An example would be making your character impervious to bullets.

I''m tired. This post is getting too long. And I was just about to explain buffer overrun/overflow exploits...

if you want to hack the game (or whatever) just for the sheer pleasure of having done it, you will get much much more satisfaction by learning stuff and doing it yourself. asking for help is like downloading a trainer; you get nothing but the results.