I'm thinking about learning a scripting language

Started by
7 comments, last by Ekim_Gram 20 years, 1 month ago
Just for the hell of it. I need something new and hopefully exciting. What do you guys use? Only scripting languages I know of are Lisp, Python and Ruby. What would you suggest? Reasons? R.I.P. Mark Osback Solo Pa Mi Gente VG-Force Ekim Gram Productions [edited by - Ekim_Gram on February 20, 2004 8:05:05 PM]
Advertisement
From your post title, maybe you should learn English...

(sorry couldn''t resist!)

[ Little Devils Inc. ]
Python, Ruby, and Lua are all good choices. So''s Lisp, but you might consider learning Scheme instead; I''ve found it to be cleaner and easier to use.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
Learn jscript or vbscript, they''ve got access to a whole whack of stuff under windows, it''s just hard to find documentation for how to do it on a standalone windows machine. Most of the info is targetted at writing it for a web page, but they''re all parts of the same beast.
As far as scripting for the rest of the world, you can look at awk or tcl. Awk I know has docs at gnu.org, tcl might too.
I''ve been looking at Python recently and it''s pretty cool. It seems fairly popular in game development circles as well so it might be a good choice if your main programming interest is games. Lua also seems to get mentioned alot in connection with game development but I''ve not looked at it myself.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Scheme is great to learn with, but there are fewer libraries available for it, making it less practical than Lisp. However, as always, you''re limited by the libraries availible for your implementation so this may not be a problem. I would honestly recommend Ruby, although it is a bit less mature than the other languages listed. Ruby is clearly headed in the right direction when it comes to features and clear syntax, however it''s libraries could use some filling out and refining. If you couldn''t already tell, I have a bias towards the cleaner (Scheme, Ruby) languages, but I temper that opinion with the whole library issue.
Python has a nice library and lots of third-party extensions (PyGame, PyOpenGL, Numeric...). It also supports COM, ASP and the Win32 API via Mark Hammond''s Pythonwin extensions. And good ol'' Mark has already released a beta of Python.NET. Mmmm, ASP.NET in Python... Managed DirectX, in Python!
I''d probably say Lua if you''re embedding, Python if you''re writing standalone stuff. But make sure you take a look at what each language has to offer you. Since you just want something "new and hopefully exciting" I''m sure Python would suffice. Browse the Scripting Language forum and read some Python threads. Also read the forum FAQ to see some ways in which you can link it to C++ if you need.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
For a class I''m taking, we had to learn a bit of Scheme. It''s the most unreadable programming language I''ve seen. How can you people code anything with it? It looks like you can''t ever do one thing after another; you have to nest things. For a simple example, let''s say you want a function to add a number C to numbers A and B. So A += C and B += C. How would you do that?

~CGameProgrammer( );

Screenshots of your games or desktop captures -- Post screenshots of your projects. There''s already 134 screenshot posts.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement