Psycho bug

Started by
5 comments, last by aaron_ds 20 years, 1 month ago
Ok, well, Ive never had a bug like this before, so let me do my best to explain it. Ive been writing an opengl app, runs fine, no observable bugs in it. However, it uses 100% cpu when in use. After 5-10 minutes of being running with no user interaction, strange things begin to happen. I have an asus nforce2 A7N8X, with a voice alert system that spouts off some cpu related error. (I''ll post what it says nexttime I hear it.) I recently accidently left my program running for 20-30 minutes while I was away and I came back to find that My computer was power cycling, and not passing POST in the bios. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Would this be a better question for a hardware forum? Is it (ab)normal for a simple gl app to maxout a cpu? Thankyou in advance!
Advertisement
memory leeks?

sounds like its leeking the memory and youre starting to loose all the memory so you get alert messages. thets what happened to me.

The 100% cpu thing is rather common, you''re not letting other threads get a chance to run, a simple delay of <10ms generally allows other threads to run. The rest of the problem is likely memory leaks.
I doubt that as I run the gl app and taskmanager simultaneously. The cpu is maxed at 100% while the memory plateaus stays constant and returns to normal once the app is closed. I will, however still check all of my news and deletes.
Thankyou
I also only use new and delete when I load and unload the geometry. Which is done in InitGL() and KillGlWindow() respectivly.
Thankyou So much. It was a mistake on my part. I was deleting a texture that didnt exist. Thankyou again!
The symptoms you describe tell of an overheated CPU, or perhaps an overheated north bridge or memory.

Yes, running very stressful programs (that do the same heavy operation over and over) can overheat a CPU if it''s over-clocked, or if the CPU fan is dead, or just poorly attached.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement