Software Piracy - Visual Arts Forum Policy Reminder

Started by
27 comments, last by digisoap 20 years ago
quote:Original post by TheDarkening
I have over $7000 worth of pirated production software (i do pay for games! well most of them...) on my computer, now how the hell am i suppose to afford to pay for all of it while going to university?

Criminals who rob and and steal and kill people use that same ''how else I am going to get it?'' mentality. Although still quite expensive, companies do sell educational versions. Almost all of the 3d packages ship a freeware learning edition as well.

quote:
All i am using it for is learning, so i dont see the harm done....My exp with my pirated software has already landed me 3 internships, including my one with EA this summer...

You used the software to enrich yourself, ie land and intership that could/might lead to a job. You gained from the software, but the company did not.

You are right one thing though, This could be your last post. Also its not very smart to admit you are breaking the law on a site where your identity(ip add''y) can be tracked and reported.
Advertisement
quote:You used the software to enrich yourself, ie land and intership that could/might lead to a job. You gained from the software, but the company did not.

It certainly isn''t a loss to the company either. He couldn''t possibly have afforded the software otherwise, so they aren''t losing a sale. Not to mention that the more people know and use the software, the more chances companies will buy it to work on their projects... And I will assume most companies do use legit software to work on commercial products... At least I would, if I was to start a game/3D company.

quote:Also its not very smart to admit you are breaking the law on a site where your identity(ip add''y) can be tracked and reported.

At least he has the courage of speaking his mind. I too, believe some people around here are a bit too quick with the pointy finger.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

www.xgameproject.com
quote:
Criminals who rob and and steal and kill people use that same ''how else I am going to get it?'' mentality. Although still quite expensive, companies do sell educational versions.

im not saying "how else am i going to get it." Im saying "how else am i going to learn it". These tools aren’t entertainment, aren’t earning me money, aren’t transportation, and are not someone''s life. And when I do start making money off these tools i will gladly pay for licenses.

quote:
Almost all of the 3d packages ship a freeware learning edition as well.

These "learning editions" are often lacking in features or still cost too much. And the free ones often lack even more features or have an expiry date.

quote:
You gained from the software, but the company did not.

Well in my examples, one company sold 3 more licenses, thats better then the one they would have got from me...

quote:
You are right one thing though, This could be your last post. Also its not very smart to admit you are breaking the law on a site where your identity(ip add''y) can be tracked and reported.

Now who are they going to report me to?

Anyway, I should say that I dont fully condone software piracy, only in the name of education.

(im sooo getting banned from the VA forum...)
quote:Original post by Max_Payne
quote:You used the software to enrich yourself, ie land and intership that could/might lead to a job. You gained from the software, but the company did not.

It certainly isn''t a loss to the company either. He couldn''t possibly have afforded the software otherwise, so they aren''t losing a sale.

Well that is a little false.

1)He believes his value has increased from his use of the software.

2)Therefore, the software is an investment.

3) When you don''t have the money for an investment, you do not steal it. You buy a loan.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
quote:Original post by intrest86

It certainly isn''t a loss to the company either. He couldn''t possibly have afforded the software otherwise, so they aren''t losing a sale.

Well that is a little false.

1)He believes his value has increased from his use of the software.

2)Therefore, the software is an investment.

3) When you don''t have the money for an investment, you do not steal it. You buy a loan.

1) He''s actually helped promote the software

2) The software is a useful tool

3) There is a difference between taking something away from someone and copying something.

4) If you don''t have the money now, getting more in debt is not going to help you.

www.xgameproject.com

www.xgameproject.com
4) If you don''t have the money now, getting more in debt is not going to help you.

Then how do people make money off of loans?

Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
I bought Paint Shop Pro second-hand, entirely legally. It was removed from the owner''s sytem before being sold to me.

I just got the CD, because the owner either lost the docs or the shipping was too high. (It was a legal CD, not burned or anything).

Does that mean that asking about a feature I have no idea about is pirating? No.

Try and open up your mind a bit. Not everyone wants to spend hundreds of dollars on software. That doesn''t justify illegal actions like stealing, but it definitely justifies the "crime" of not owning the manual.
quote:These "learning editions" are often lacking in features or still cost too much. And the free ones often lack even more features or have an expiry date.

So if I don''t have car and I want one, is ok for me to steal one? What about if I have a VW Bug and I want a Roll Royce. Should I work and save and buy it, or should I steal it?

You can argue why you think you are justified in stealing software, but I think you''re just trying to convince yourself that''s its alright when you know it isn''t.

Bottom line its an illegal activity that could bring this site additional expenses in the form of defending a lawsuit. They have to go on record as being oppossed to it in any form.

If you don''t like it, post somewhere else. No one is forcing you to come here.

quote:Original post by TheDarkening
I could understand you banning people that are distributing or requesting pirated versions of software, but thats about it. I mean look at all the "how do i link to a lib with VC7?" topics in the programming forums, should they all be banned too?
VC7 Academic Edition costs $100 or less.

And on that note, bye bye thread!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement