Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D3D whatz a should i use?

This topic is 5042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The common framework can definately handle fullscreen. If you''re just starting out with DX, then use the common framework to learn things from.

Once you get a little further along, you''ll notice that the common framework is nice, but that it tries to do too many things. Your app might not need all that functionality, so you might want to do your own window code so that it runs a bit faster.

But for small demo apps and to learn from, the common framework is just fine.

neneboricua

I suggest writing your own and not using the framework. Sure, it does everything for you. But that''s the problem - you don''t actually learn how to do anything. Writing your own app from the ground-up will teach you a lot about DirectX, windows API, and the language you are using in general.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

Any derivations you make can be bug prone. Even if you derive from completely, 100% bug free classes, what you add may still have bugs in it. However, deriving in and of itself shouldn't cause any bugs, just what you do with the derivation. Generally what you do when you use the common files framework is to derive a class from their base classes to do what you want. The base classes have the general stuff that most applications need like drawing, etc., and your derived classes have things for you application, for example if you needed a special load function.

As for wether or not you should use the common files framework, it's up to you. I chose to go with the 'no' approach (do it all myself) and haven't had any problems, and (I think) my code looks much nicer handling it myself. Others would probably agree and disagree.

[edited by - Erzengeldeslichtes on February 22, 2004 4:13:17 PM]