Direct3D & DirectDraw

Started by
2 comments, last by Jok 20 years, 1 month ago
Can I use Direct3D & DirectDraw cooperatively? I will gain nice effect with this technologies together.
Advertisement
Directdraw is already embedded in Direct3D. The difference being this time everything is 3D but 2D objects are 3D objects on the same plane as the screen.

Pedro Remedios
Hail Storm Studios
Pedro RemediosPete Productions
You can''t mix Direct3D and DirectDraw.

And there are no ''nice effects'' you could do with that combo that you can''t do with pure Direct3D.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I''m not sure about the current versions, but you used to be able to mix D3D and DD.

However... I think it was the DX7 docs that pointed out that switching from one to the other caused considerable overhead. The docs recommended that you stick with Direct3D for everything if you were already using D3D. As Superpig pointed out, there''s nothing that you can do in DD that you can''t do (arguably better) in D3D.

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement