Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New engine vids

This topic is 5042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heres some new engine vids we released. http://realmsoftorment.net/forums/showthread.php3?s=177ee59b4f37678707dbdb86b64457ea&threadid=12197 This was running on a Radeon 9700 pro. The glow effect you see there uses a post process pixel shader and only works on Fx and Radeon 9500+ cards.

I really don''t think you need telling that the videos are amazing! I haven''t had time to locate the information on your site regarding your team, so if you don''t mind possibly repeating some information, I''d be interested in knowing how big your team is and how long it''s taken you to get your game/engine to this state? I''ve seen several engine videos that have impressed me, such as Everquest 2, World of Warcraft and the CryTek engine vid... none of them have impressed me as much as your videos have and yet you are an indie team.... correct? If so, then major congratulations to you, it looks awesome! I get the feeling that the gameplay will be very good too, if it''s half as good as the greaphics then you''re well away

Anyhoo I''m sure constructive criticism would do better than just blowing your trumpet so to speak, but I''m actually so impressed that I currently don''t have any criticism to give... great job!

Cheers,

Steve

Not only do they look sweet, but they run fast too! I have to agree, these are beautiful. Those glow effects are amazing. Nice job.

BTW:
I can't get footage 5 to play WMP wont play it and ATI's file player just shows black frames?

-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on February 22, 2004 10:28:57 AM]

Hello from Bulgaria, too...
I can play the first video, but all others are pure black color...

Btw, do you use any kind of LOD on the houses in that city (in enginedemo1)? Any LOD on trees?
What is low-end platform?

[edited by - Zemedelec on February 23, 2004 6:34:24 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
what are you talking about, this are low poly scenes with almost no lighting, i''m shure the game can be interesting, and the engine may have lots of interesting features, but in terms of graphics its very primitive, alsow, i can see no collision detection in this videos, camera moves like it was en editor

the scenes are rendered twice..

and its not about poly''s, its about fill rate.. how many pixels

Almost no lighting? You want us to string up some christmas lights in there or something? :D
Thats all dynamic lighting..

Very primitive?
I suppose you think the unreal 2 engine is primitive also because it isnt capable of anything better. At least not in the "visuals" department..

"I''d be interested in knowing how big your team is and how long it''s taken you to get your game/engine to this state?"

About 20 people. And I suppose it took about 2 years of work on the engine... It was built from the ground up..

Hmm... I guess I shouldn''t "feed the troll", but AP, what the hell? I guess you didn''t take the time to go download the other engine demo vids from the main site, as these show a character in game, with full collision detection (albeit with no shown gameplay). Why don''t you show us what you can do if this is so poor?

Cheers,

Steve

Wow, i''m impressed.

I couldn''t play some of the videos. They give me the "black color". Perhaps i need some codecs!

But those i saw were prety good. I like the lights fxs.

Keep up the good work.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the AP about those movies - I don't find anything particularly amazing about them. My only real criticisms, though, I think have more to do with the art assets than the engine. I do like your glow effect, and the lighting overall looks good. I also like the overall feel of your environment. But the appearance of the cave area isn't anything above average for the MMORPG world, as far as I can see... the one thing I think the level you showed in the clips could definitely use is more "detail" work. The whole area looks kind of abandoned and barren... and I know you don't have any NPCs in there, but even with the addition of the characters I think it would still seem to "simple". A game that I think is a good example of what I mean is World of Warcraft... these aren't the best screenshots to show it but I wanted to compare apples to apples so I got some mine/cave screenshots:

http://vnscripts.ign.com/screenshots/images/wow/96033500.jpg
http://vnscripts.ign.com/screenshots/images/wow/10750453.jpg

I think the environment there looks more realistic because of the "clutter" in the scenery. A lot of MMORPGs (including this example of yours, in my opinion) are too clean to feel like somewhere that is really lived in.

But, then again, I have no idea what the story behind this area of your game is, so maybe my criticisms are completely unfounded.

In reference to the other 2 movies you have available for download - these are a much better representation of your engine. I LOVE your glare effects from the sun, and your outdoor environment looks pretty good. The foliage is done well, and your buildings in the town look alright, too.

In any case, cool stuff, I'll definitely be watching the site in the future.

[edited by - SantaClaws on February 23, 2004 1:55:12 PM]

quote:
Original post by realmsonline
the scenes are rendered twice..
and its not about poly''s, its about fill rate.. how many pixels

Why twice? For z-buffer filling? Or for the glow effect?

quote:

Almost no lighting? You want us to string up some christmas lights in there or something? :D
Thats all dynamic lighting..

Outdoor scenes looks very flat, and the fog is really visible when white mountain appears from nowhere in the blue sky...
But that is obviuos problems with almost all outdoor engines.

And one more - the grass is too low-poly (or too big), and it is too obvious that this is polygons that are sticked into the ground, not grass...
But problem here is the art again, imho, or not enough alpha-blending (if any)...

I was really impressed by the indoor scenes. Very cute indeed!

the game doesn't use alpha blending.. We decided against it for performance reasons.. the grass looks just as good as any grass effect in any mmorpg or game, better than some.. We will add some wind fx to it later just before release..
also a new sky..

As for world of warcraft, i've seen some of the mines and caves in world of warcraft, and I'll gurantee you they do not have anymore details in them.

Problem with loading it up with details is that when NPC's go in and actual players it will cause a good drop in performance.

Theres no way of knowing how many people will cram in there at any given time :D so it has to be designed with that in mind also...

Lets say a decent sized guild party decides to raid those dwarf holds - theres going to be fighting and spell casting. All that madness drops frame rates :D

anyway, we'll do the best we can do
good luck with your projects.

[edited by - realmsonline on February 23, 2004 4:34:37 PM]

quote:
Original post by realmsonline

Just some more technical questions - do you use portals on those houses, and do you billboard the indoor portion of them by portal?
And what is the viewing distance?

Couldnt see the first vid.
It looks very nice but i have some suggestions:

All the models looks like they are don''t have any shadow. Try turn up for the contrast in the game so the shading/shadows are easier visible. Or maybe even use the overbright method. Carmack used this in Quake3 and it used to it''s full potential in Natural Selection (half-life mod)
It takes bright colours and make them brighter while darker colours almost stay the same.
I would think of it like this:
R= R * 1.6
G= G * 1.6
B= B * 1.6

and your game would be much more colourfull. The user could change the value then.

Also some comments on the grass. It looks good for a MMPORPG but try draw the grass like thin straws and stuff. It would make them look better while not changin the res of the textures. It would make it look more natural. If you vary the straws colours from green to some midway between dark yellow and green then it would look perfect.

open gl..

and we already did that over bright method in the caves. but for the outside it came out blurry.. need to improve the filtering and make the textures a little different for the outdoors..

and ya - portals..

i'm very impressed of your game, and i'll surely visit your site in the future, i'd only say you should make some of the characters looking more realisic, because some of them look like cartoons but the large plains with trees and grass look very good... and also congratulations for this work, as you aren't professionals!!!

and there's a question, because i'm also programming an engine (but in d3d)... how many polygons, has
. a character,
. a weapon,
. a tree,
. a bush of grass,
. and a house
approximately in your game.

and for the sky... are you using a skybox, or billboard clouds with motion?

[edited by - critical on February 26, 2004 9:07:49 AM]