New engine vids

Started by
16 comments, last by realmsonline 20 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by realmsonline
the scenes are rendered twice..
and its not about poly''s, its about fill rate.. how many pixels

Why twice? For z-buffer filling? Or for the glow effect?

quote:
Almost no lighting? You want us to string up some christmas lights in there or something? :D
Thats all dynamic lighting..

Outdoor scenes looks very flat, and the fog is really visible when white mountain appears from nowhere in the blue sky...
But that is obviuos problems with almost all outdoor engines.

And one more - the grass is too low-poly (or too big), and it is too obvious that this is polygons that are sticked into the ground, not grass...
But problem here is the art again, imho, or not enough alpha-blending (if any)...

I was really impressed by the indoor scenes. Very cute indeed!
Advertisement
the game doesn't use alpha blending.. We decided against it for performance reasons.. the grass looks just as good as any grass effect in any mmorpg or game, better than some.. We will add some wind fx to it later just before release..
also a new sky..

As for world of warcraft, i've seen some of the mines and caves in world of warcraft, and I'll gurantee you they do not have anymore details in them.

Problem with loading it up with details is that when NPC's go in and actual players it will cause a good drop in performance.

Theres no way of knowing how many people will cram in there at any given time :D so it has to be designed with that in mind also...

Lets say a decent sized guild party decides to raid those dwarf holds - theres going to be fighting and spell casting. All that madness drops frame rates :D

anyway, we'll do the best we can do
good luck with your projects.

[edited by - realmsonline on February 23, 2004 4:34:37 PM]
Building online worlds one world at a time.
quote:Original post by realmsonline

Just some more technical questions - do you use portals on those houses, and do you billboard the indoor portion of them by portal?
And what is the viewing distance?
Couldnt see the first vid.
It looks very nice but i have some suggestions:

All the models looks like they are don''t have any shadow. Try turn up for the contrast in the game so the shading/shadows are easier visible. Or maybe even use the overbright method. Carmack used this in Quake3 and it used to it''s full potential in Natural Selection (half-life mod)
It takes bright colours and make them brighter while darker colours almost stay the same.
I would think of it like this:
R= R * 1.6
G= G * 1.6
B= B * 1.6

and your game would be much more colourfull. The user could change the value then.

Also some comments on the grass. It looks good for a MMPORPG but try draw the grass like thin straws and stuff. It would make them look better while not changin the res of the textures. It would make it look more natural. If you vary the straws colours from green to some midway between dark yellow and green then it would look perfect.
Hey, excellent work so far!

Very nice indeed! What API are you using?

My Website | Everything you need to know about 3D Graphics | Google | Search the Forums
open gl..

and we already did that over bright method in the caves. but for the outside it came out blurry.. need to improve the filtering and make the textures a little different for the outdoors..

and ya - portals..
Building online worlds one world at a time.
i'm very impressed of your game, and i'll surely visit your site in the future, i'd only say you should make some of the characters looking more realisic, because some of them look like cartoons but the large plains with trees and grass look very good... and also congratulations for this work, as you aren't professionals!!!

and there's a question, because i'm also programming an engine (but in d3d)... how many polygons, has
. a character,
. a weapon,
. a tree,
. a bush of grass,
. and a house
approximately in your game.

and for the sky... are you using a skybox, or billboard clouds with motion?

[edited by - critical on February 26, 2004 9:07:49 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement