SceneManagers & Cameras Question.

Started by
3 comments, last by HexDump 20 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I got My Scene Manager fully working. At this time I handle cameras (to make things easy think that I can only have a camera in the game) separately from the scene, I mean, when I have to render the scene I first call pActiveCam->Update() and then I render the scene, everything works fine, but what about if I want to attach the camera to a scene object?. I was thinking about it, and I come to the solution that I would need first of all to calculate the Transformation matrix of the camera, then set it as the view matrix, and render everything, but how is the best way to do it is something that I haven´t figure out. I would like to know how people do this, because I don´t know how to do it efficiently. Note: If you don´t understand something from the post let me know and I will try to expres myself better. Thnaks in advance, HexDump.
Advertisement
You could start at the camera, run up the scene tree up to the root recursively, then recurse back while stacking / multiplying transform matrices, and finally inverse the whole.

That, or you could run up the scene tree while inversing matrices and multiplying them recursively, then returning the matrix.

Victor Nicollet, INT13 game programmer

Thanks for your answer ToohrVyk. Is this the way peopple ussually does this?, or is there any other way to handle cameras in scene?.

HexDump.
It''s not clear why attaching the camera to a scene object changes anything or presents a problem. Either way the camera has a position and orientation.

I''m guessing the problem is that your camera''s position and orientation are now relative to the position and orientation of the scene object that it is attached to. You are trying to figure out how to incorporate that into your camera''s update function.

Here is my suggestion: Don''t actually put the camera in the scene, put an object that represents it instead. Then the code might look something like this:
SceneManager sceneManager;SceneObject boomObject;SceneObject cameraObject;...sceneManager.Add( &boomObject );sceneManager.Add( &cameraObject );boomObject.Attach( &cameraObject ); // Attach the camera to the boom  ...// Set the position and orientation of the camera based on the camera object   Transform t = cameraObject.GetPositionAndOrientation();pActiveCamera->SetPositionAndOrientation( t );pActiveCamera->Update();//  Render the scene now   ...  

John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Well John, this is not the problem. The thing is that every frame I need the Camera updated, in order to do things like don´t update nodes not in the view, etc... And the question is how to get this efficiently. ToohrVyk posted an answer but I think it is a bit rude (sorry dude, I could be wrong), so I´m asking about ways to do this efficiently.

Note: My nodes have the relative transformation matrix from its parent.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement