Market Research

Started by
12 comments, last by superpig 20 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by superpig
BTW, are you sure Mythica was cancelled? Last I heard Mythic Entertainment were still taking MS to court over it... maybe my news is outdated though because I heard that I while back.
Yep MS announced it on the 16th Feb http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=3451

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions (www.obscure.co.uk)
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Advertisement
My main point was to illustrate that using market research to back an investment plan in an MMO is risky at best. Three years ago, the water was significantly more fragrant but unfortunately the economy wasn''t. Today I believe the focus should be on the product and why you think yours can revive the industry and capture huge marketshare as each of the big four continue to get older by the day.

Kressilac
ps I''m glad you have a plan to deal with the results if they do not come back to your liking.
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
Good point. Market research is useful to try and define the size and type of market you are looking to enter. However the important part of a business plan is the part that shows how you intend to capture your share.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions (www.obscure.co.uk)
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
You may want to ask the guy who''s compiled the MMOG subscription chart for tips/contacts. He also has a section about his sources on that page.

I haven''t been too into MMOG''s for a while, but Raph Koster''s writings were always a good source of info about player behaviors for me (though you won''t find specific stats). Mr. Koster may be willing to share more details too (he''s worked on UO and then SWG). Here''s his site: http://www.legendmud.org/raph/

Tadd
- WarbleWare
Tadd- WarbleWare

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement