Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the last game you felt had strong writing?

This topic is 5038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not even just the overall concept but dialouge as well. A lot of the games I''ve played lately (including a lot of rpgs) have had some pretty weak script writing. The Legacy of Kain series of games and a few graphic adventures like grim fandango seem to be the standouts, are there anymore examples of strong writing in games?

I haven''t liked a game story since Final Fantasy 3/VI. It was just the thing for a wandering RPG, with a basic villain-conquers-the-world main story, and the rest dedicated to character development.

Halo had exactly the right story for a long, one-man-army FPS, but I wouldn''t call it good from a literary standpoint.

really, I think game stories are customarily subjugated to the gameplay and immersion of the world. It would take a lot for a really excellent story to be made into a really excellent video game. You could say that the Lord of the Rings games have a great story, because they roughly follow that books, but that doesn''t make them great games. The Dynasty Warriors series is based on one of the most fascinating period in history, but they were such simple games that I would hesitate to call the stories extremely good.

It''s a difficult thing to measure. I think I favor "appropriate" stories, like FFVI and Halo, to "excellent" stories, like LOTR and DW.

No dialogue really jumps out of my memory, so I can''t really comment on that end of the question.

There were some problems with the story, I think, but one that comes to mind recently for fantastic dialog is Armed and Dangerous. The game is pretty short and the plot isn't incredibly involved, but the cinematic shorts between the missions are hilarious. The Planet Moon guys had great writing for the dialogue and scripts for Giants: Citizen Kabuto. I've taken several people and had them watch all of the cinematics for Giants just because they're done so well for a game. Both of these are more appealing from the film perspective, though.

[edited by - SantaClaws on February 23, 2004 3:31:58 PM]

ACtually, I was slightly dissapointed with the main Neverwinter Nights campaign *quests*.
The actual dialogues were cool though. I particularly enjoyed keeping my orc barbarian under the limit in INT so that the dialogues always gave me the "oh, you are a bit slow, aint you" kind of remarks. But suprisingly Lady Aribeth still liked me *grin*.
But if you wanna see a REALLY well written and atmospheric module, you HAVE to check out the Witch''s Wake.
I just wished there was a sequel, coz it really got me drooling by the end of it.
More cRPG should have this kind of quality.

Max Payne does have something good about it. But I felt at times that is was, you know, trying too hard ? Still, the tone was mature enough and I really liked the Film Noir style they were trying to make.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

I think Daggerfall had the best, it expanded my vocabulary quite a bit (with respect to other games). Morrowind did a good job too. In Daggerfall and Morrowind I did not feal like i was just talking to a database, all the NPCs'' dialog fit their character.

I think that a good hard-boiled voiceover is an excellent element in any story. Max Payne''s was a little overdone. I''d like to see something more like the one in the BladeRunner movie.

Actually, comic books do this very well, and Max Payne was capitalizing on that, but I find that when you read it out loud, it''s a little corny, like Max Payne was.

In fact, an enormous amount of awesome literary dialogue starts to suck when it''s acted out. Has anyone ever read "Cyrano de Bergerac" by Edmond Rostand? If you don''t read French, find the Brian hooker translation. It''s awesome. Cyrano is this ass-kicking soldier and poet, and he mocks the shit out of people while he fights them. But if you ever see the movie version, he totally sounds like a dork.

That''s the way many video games turn out. It might have looked good to the sci-fi-reading authors, but when voice actors get ahold of it, it all starts to sound cheesy.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Vaevictis_A
After Planescape Torment, game writing was never the same again.

A strong "Amen" to that. I only wish there are other stories out there like this one. Anyone know if it is based on or inspired by some other works?

I''m also a big Daggerfall and Morrowind fan, but the dialogues feel functional, mechanical... Dare I disagree with several others here, but those dialogues actually do feel like a database to me. May be it''s the conversation system used by the game.

I haven''t tried Deux Ex, Max Payne, Prince of Persia - SoT, or Beyond Good & Evil, so I can''t compare those. Looks like I have a lot on my to-play list... :D

For me nothing beat the monkey island series, Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis. And the story that made me love FPS the almight "HALO" the original c&c kept me going with its awsome story as well

Anonymous Poster : Errr ? I ll assume I misunderstand your question or that you are a complete newbie to PnP roleplaying games. Because Planescape Torment is based on the Planescape setting for the Dungeon and Dragons roleplaying game.
If you meant *computer games* then anything that Bioware did in the DnD settings (Neverwinter Nights, Baldur''s Gate, Icewindale...) would, I suppose, be considered "inspiration" ?

Iron Chef Carnage :
you know, that''s quite an interesting remark you are making there. The corny thing about Max Payne probably was the overdone voice. Not because it was overdone, but because I was reading the dialogues in a second while the voice kept going on, and on... maybe if they HADNT put the dialogues in the pictures it would have sounded better.
For Cyrano, I dunno what movie you are referring to, but I assume you havent seen Gerard Depardieu in the role. Coz he certainly can deliver the dialogues (the versions of Cyrano I have seen where always theatre ones, so I cant really compare with the actual book)

Still, I know what you mean

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by RapidStunna
Final Fantasy 7 - nothing has compared since, although The Da Vinci Code (a book) came close in my mind.

I bet your favorite song is Hey Ya by Outkast, and your favorite movie is Pirates of the Caribean.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by RapidStunna
Final Fantasy 7 - nothing has compared since, although The Da Vinci Code (a book) came close in my mind.

I bet your favorite song is Hey Ya by Outkast, and your favorite movie is Pirates of the Caribean.

Why yes, my favorite song and movie.

Umm no. If you havn''t played the game or read the book, you''re nobody to criticize.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by ahw
Anonymous Poster : Errr ? I ll assume I misunderstand your question or that you are a complete newbie to PnP roleplaying games. Because Planescape Torment is based on the Planescape setting for the Dungeon and Dragons roleplaying game.

ahw, I knew it was based on AD&D''s Planescape setting (though I never bought any of the books or modules, damn!). I admit I avoided being specific.

I was talking about the actual plot itself, I assume the writer must have drawn inspiration from some other works. I''m also interested in finding if there is any literature with similarities to other aspects of the Planescape setting. Eg. has this writer produced any other works?

In other words, I''m looking for books, games, thesis etc. that has similar materials because just one P:T is NOT ENOUGH!!! :D