What was the last game you felt had strong writing?

Started by
20 comments, last by Walrus_night_Musik 20 years, 1 month ago
Prince of Persia
and
Beyond Good & Evil
Advertisement
I think that a good hard-boiled voiceover is an excellent element in any story. Max Payne''s was a little overdone. I''d like to see something more like the one in the BladeRunner movie.

Actually, comic books do this very well, and Max Payne was capitalizing on that, but I find that when you read it out loud, it''s a little corny, like Max Payne was.

In fact, an enormous amount of awesome literary dialogue starts to suck when it''s acted out. Has anyone ever read "Cyrano de Bergerac" by Edmond Rostand? If you don''t read French, find the Brian hooker translation. It''s awesome. Cyrano is this ass-kicking soldier and poet, and he mocks the shit out of people while he fights them. But if you ever see the movie version, he totally sounds like a dork.

That''s the way many video games turn out. It might have looked good to the sci-fi-reading authors, but when voice actors get ahold of it, it all starts to sound cheesy.
quote:Original post by Vaevictis_A
After Planescape Torment, game writing was never the same again.

A strong "Amen" to that. I only wish there are other stories out there like this one. Anyone know if it is based on or inspired by some other works?

I''m also a big Daggerfall and Morrowind fan, but the dialogues feel functional, mechanical... Dare I disagree with several others here, but those dialogues actually do feel like a database to me. May be it''s the conversation system used by the game.

I haven''t tried Deux Ex, Max Payne, Prince of Persia - SoT, or Beyond Good & Evil, so I can''t compare those. Looks like I have a lot on my to-play list... :D
For me nothing beat the monkey island series, Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis. And the story that made me love FPS the almight "HALO" the original c&c kept me going with its awsome story as well
Metal Gear Solid

MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
Anonymous Poster : Errr ? I ll assume I misunderstand your question or that you are a complete newbie to PnP roleplaying games. Because Planescape Torment is based on the Planescape setting for the Dungeon and Dragons roleplaying game.
If you meant *computer games* then anything that Bioware did in the DnD settings (Neverwinter Nights, Baldur''s Gate, Icewindale...) would, I suppose, be considered "inspiration" ?

Iron Chef Carnage :
you know, that''s quite an interesting remark you are making there. The corny thing about Max Payne probably was the overdone voice. Not because it was overdone, but because I was reading the dialogues in a second while the voice kept going on, and on... maybe if they HADNT put the dialogues in the pictures it would have sounded better.
For Cyrano, I dunno what movie you are referring to, but I assume you havent seen Gerard Depardieu in the role. Coz he certainly can deliver the dialogues (the versions of Cyrano I have seen where always theatre ones, so I cant really compare with the actual book)

Still, I know what you mean
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
arc the lad i think had a very good storyline.
Final Fantasy 7 - nothing has compared since, although The Da Vinci Code (a book) came close in my mind.
quote:Original post by RapidStunna
Final Fantasy 7 - nothing has compared since, although The Da Vinci Code (a book) came close in my mind.

I bet your favorite song is Hey Ya by Outkast, and your favorite movie is Pirates of the Caribean.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:Original post by RapidStunna

I bet your favorite song is Hey Ya by Outkast, and your favorite movie is Pirates of the Caribean.

Why yes, my favorite song and movie.

Umm no. If you havn''t played the game or read the book, you''re nobody to criticize.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement