max,blender,maya and lightwave too

Started by
5 comments, last by cgshade 20 years, 2 months ago
My question(s) is as follows which of the following if any would you recommend blender,milkshape,max or maya i have seen a lot of posts that say blender is the best there is, is this so? i beleave max was used for prince of persha - is blender or milkshape used by proffesionals? at this stage i am not worried about the cost of the software but mearly want to choose the right one. Please help me by giving some advice!
Advertisement
If you are serious about your artwork and game development 3d studio max or maya are by far the best.If you are a hobbiest with no real ambition in the 3d market or are skint then blender and milkshape are ok.
I believe that Lightwave is better at modeling than max and maya. anything the lightwave cant do out of the box and max or maya can, there is a free plugin that lets you do becuase anything.
You can do just about anything that you need to do from a gaming art creation standpoint int Blender that you can in any other app.

The other apps may have easier to learn interfaces. Would you rather spend a few days learning the interface, or spend a few grand on something with a slightly easier interface? Any 3D program of substance is going to have a learning curve attached to it, Blender''s just take a little longer that the others, but Blender is VERY efficent once you learn it.

As far as professional go, I would imagine that they use the commercial apps, simply because of history and training. Most art schools teach the commercial apps so ....

If you are looking for a career in 3D, learn Max,Maya, Lightwave, etc. If you are a hobbyist, someone who just want to learn 3D, go Blender.
quote:Original post by yspotua
You can do just about anything that you need to do from a gaming art creation standpoint int Blender that you can in any other app.

The other apps may have easier to learn interfaces. Would you rather spend a few days learning the interface, or spend a few grand on something with a slightly easier interface? Any 3D program of substance is going to have a learning curve attached to it, Blender''s just take a little longer that the others, but Blender is VERY efficent once you learn it.

Beleave me you are not paying a "few grand" for just a slightly easier interface both max and maya a massive programs (you only need to look at the manual to see that) that are in a completely differant league to blender and that is the main reason that it is the proffesionals choice
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:Original post by yspotua

Beleave me you are not paying a "few grand" for just a slightly easier interface both max and maya a massive programs (you only need to look at the manual to see that) that are in a completely differant league to blender and that is the main reason that it is the proffesionals choice

They may have more ''features'' but when it comes to getting GAME related art done, the differences aren''t hot huge.

If you want to get hired by a game development studio, then you need Max or Maya skills (or, ideally, both :-)

If you want to just create game art, then use whatever you can lay your hands on. Chances are, your tool will not be the limiting factor for the art you create. Only if you really find a compelling reason why you''d do better on a higher end package do you need to upgrade.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement