Newton - aware of relativity; who else?

Started by
33 comments, last by zealouselixir 20 years, 1 month ago
question:

for me on earth, the clock in the rocket ticks too slowly. so he ages less fast => he will be younger than i when he comes back. (if we were twins at the start)

you stated that the same effects happen for him, looking to me. flattened earth as i see the flattened spaceship. and he sees my clock going slower, too? if i got that right, i would be younger than him, once he''s back..

what have i messed up now?

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Advertisement
quote:Original post by davepermen
for me on earth, the clock in the rocket ticks too slowly. so he ages less fast => he will be younger than i when he comes back. (if we were twins at the start)

you stated that the same effects happen for him, looking to me. flattened earth as i see the flattened spaceship. and he sees my clock going slower, too? if i got that right, i would be younger than him, once he''s back..

That''s the classic twin paradox. The difference is that the guy in the rocket must accelerate to get back, ie his frame of reference is not inertial.
that means, when he moves back, the time differences get moved back again? so will we be twins again? or will he be younger, or will i be younger?

it will not work that he is younger in my eyes, and i am younger in his eyes.

so what will happen? or wich one of the above is wrong?

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

The rocket-bound twin will be younger. If it was the Earth that started speeding up to twice the rocket''s speed, when the two would meet, the rocket-bound twin would be older.
And in electrodynamics, we often say that the speed of light in a dielectric (such as water), is inferior to the speed of light in vacuum, c. v = c / n, where n is the index of refraction of the medium.

Light is an electromagnetic wave. Its speed depends on the properties of the medium in which it is propagating. This all comes from Maxwell's equations in vacuum, and in dielectrics.

Cédric

[edited by - Cedric on February 27, 2004 12:51:10 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement