• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fisheyel83l

DX8 -> DX9

This topic is 5203 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m porting a project from DX8 to DX9, but I''ve run into a problem. When I''m running in fullscreen mode, the DX9 project will change the screen resolution, but the window will stay a window (meaning I can drag the window around, exposing the windows underneath it). When my DX8 project goes fullscreen, it goes fullscreen like it''s supposed to; the title bar is gone, no window borders, etc. My D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS settings are the same for both, and my windows are both created identically. Only difference is I''m using LPDIRECT3D9 and LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9* in the DX9 project (obviously). Anyone know what the problem is?

Tolerance is a drug. Sycophancy is a disease.

Advertisement
Ok, well changing the WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW style flag to WS_VISIBLE|WS_POPUP did the trick. Anyone know why WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW does something different in DX9?

Are you sure you''re creating a full-screen device and not a windowed mode device? The D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS structure changed between D3D8 and D3D9 and if you''re still initializing if it were a D3D8 struct, you may end up creating a windowed mode device by accident.

I''ve just modified one of the Tutorial samples (Vertices) from the DX9 SDK to run full-screen with an overlapped window and it works as expected. I don''t think this is a problem with Direct3D.

I basically took my old code and changed all ''8''s to ''9''s. When I ran it, the screen resolution changed so that the window took up the whole screen, but it wasn''t "full screen," so to speak. It was still a window, with the title bar and everything. I could grab it and drag it around. I''ll look into the differences in D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS. That sounds like the problem.

I''m also having a problem. I''m using DirectX 8 SDK, and the computer has DirectX 9 runtime. When I make a fullscreen app of 640x480 (I have a resolution of 800x600), the window goes fullscreen, but it has a black border around it (the middle 640x480 is cleared and the rest of the 800x600 is black). When I had DirectX 8 runtime on my computer it worked fine.

/*
I use DirectX 8.1 and C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition)
*/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!