Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

directx9 in devC++5

This topic is 5021 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

well i don''t know if you want to use DX9 on Dev-C++5
one i heard their ABI is breaking alot of normal code that would normally work. also i don''t know if you have to worry about managed code (.NET) for DX9. if you do, Dev-C 5 won''t help you.

First of all, the fact that you are using DevC++ 5 has no bearing on DX. It is an IDE. The compiler you are using is likely MingW (unless you have confgiured DevC to use Cygwin) You have 4 options for using DX9:

1) Download the DX9 libraries that have been converted to the archive format gcc uses. You can find a link to one such package from the DevC++ website, or search google.

2) Don''t worry about it and just go ahead an link with the stock DX9 libs. MingW can use the archive format VC++ uses.

3) If you''re bored, conver the DX9 libs to the gcc format yourself.

4) Just don''t worry about linking to lib files and load the dlls dynamically via the Win32 functions loadLibrary and getProcAddress OR skip that process and use COM (CoCreateInstance).

Number 4 is actually the preferred way to load DX components anyway.

well, i managed to get everything working except i have one error im getting WinMain@16 then linker error DirectX, or something like that, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Note: I downloaded the dev pack with the mingw compatible directx libs

quote:
well, i managed to get everything working except i have one error im getting WinMain@16 then linker error DirectX, or something like that, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Do you have a winmain fucntion declared?

quote:
Original post by Squirell
Note: I downloaded the dev pack with the mingw compatible directx libs

Be aware that the libraries provide in the dev pack are the debug versions. This fine for learning and testing, but if you want to get into distribution, you need to convert the release versions your self.

[edited by - yspotua on February 22, 2004 11:08:44 PM]

[edited by - yspotua on February 23, 2004 9:05:56 AM]

when i try tolink directly i get compiler error:
------------

d:/src/dx90sdk/lib/d3dx8.lib(obj/i386/cd3dxresource.obj)(.text+0x9):.\cd3dxresource.cp: undefined reference to `_imp__DeleteObject@4''
d:/src/dx90sdk/lib/d3dx8.lib(obj/i386/cd3dxresource.obj)(.text+0xc):.\cd3dxresource.cp: undefined reference to `_imp__DeleteObject@4''

-----------
unsing mingw 3.1.0