Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Trig Question

This topic is 5042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have spent the last few hours on some math sites trying to see if I could learn enough to solve a trig problem. Unfortunately, I wasn''t made to take trig in high school and now that I''m old I feel that I''m having trouble learning (it is also quite possible that I am just dumb). Given the information in the image, is it possible to determine the x and y value at point P? I would appreciate any help!

I'll go ahead and say that it is impossble from the information in that picture to tell the X and Y of that point. The triangle could be at any angle, so you cannot tell at what point on the cirumference the triangle is touching.

EDIT: I haven't taken trig yet, but I am still sure that I am correct.

[edited by - PlayGGY on February 21, 2004 10:52:47 PM]

quote:
Original post by frank_rizzo
Given the information in the image, is it possible to determine the x and y value at point P?

I don''t think so. If you imagine P sliding up and down the circumference of the circle, none of the given information changes, therefore P cannot be uniquely determined by that information.

Closed. I know this may not be homework, but it might be, and the poster didn''t document his thought process and conclusion before asking for an answer. The answer, by the way, as others said, is no, you can''t find the x and y value at p without more information.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

This topic is 5042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.