compilers

Started by
14 comments, last by bob123452 20 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by Xai
... - but I''m still a Borland fan myself, and highly recommend you check out the free version of Borland C++ Builder X.

I checked out Borland''s Builder X briefly before but my impression was that it was an IDE for C# programming. It needed me to install the .NET framework for it to work and it compiles the programs using the c# compiler in the .NET framework.

But from the way you described it is it possible to set Builder X up to compile C++ programs?

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

Advertisement
quote:Original post by bob123452
yes i did mean microsoft visual c++ .net 2003. how hard would it be to change form writing in syntax for the gcc compiler for a while and then switching to visual c++.net 2003?

You''re missing the point. The C++ language standard defines the syntax; if it doesn''t follow the same syntax, it''s not C++. Syntactically, I doubt any C++ compilers out there have any significant differences (excepting a few extensions, such as a couple of GCC-specific operators whose form eludes me as I have never used them). In general terms, everything that''s standard C++ code (and everything in basic tutorial books should be) should compile the same on all the compilers mentioned in this thread (excepting outdated versions, like Visual C++ 6.0).

The difference you really need to worry about at this stage is standards compliance - some compilers don''t adhere to the standard very well. As long as you stick with current versions, though, both Visual C++ (.NET 2003) and GCC/g++ are fairly good. Later on, there is also the fact that different compilers ship with different libraries and extensions and may work with different third-party libraries and SDK''s (for example, you''ll have a much easier time writing DirectX code with VC++). As a beginner, however, this won''t really concern you.
Greatwolf - you must have grabbed the wrong thing ...

borland makes MANY builder products:
Borland C++ Builder
Borland J Builder
Borland C# Builder
Delphi (which is basically Borland Object Pascal Builder

go to borland's website and look at the popup of "downloads"
second one down is C++ Builder
third one down is C++ Builder X
fourth one down is C# Builder

[edited by - Xai on February 23, 2004 6:37:15 PM]
oooh, there it is. They must have updated it cuz I don''t remember them being there before.

quote:Original post by Xai
I personally don''t now 100% the relationship between Dev-C++, Bloodshed C++, MinGW, and GCC ... but anyone who does now what they are exactly and how good their standard compliance is, should please post it here.

Dev C++ is an IDE that uses MinGW32. "Bloodshed C++" is Dev C++. MinGW32 is a set of headers, import libraries, and utilities for GCC to allow it to create Win32 executables and libraries. When most people say "MinGW32" they imply GCC as well, since it''s all that it''s meant to be used with (unlike many people seem to think, MinGW32 is not its own compiler; the project, however, does repackage GCC, possibly with patches to make it easier to build to use MinGW32). GCC is the GNU Compiler Collection, which includes C and C++ compilers (among other things).

thanks null ... i have much experience with GCC on BeOS / FreeBSD and Linux .. but NONE with Windows (where I use Visual Studio and Borland C++ Builder) ...

that information is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement