Is python suppoed to be so easy?

Started by
4 comments, last by Ekim_Gram 20 years, 2 months ago
I''ve been studying C++ for the past 1 1/2 years and after some extensive conversation in the Game Programming forum, I''ve decided to learn a scripting language to incorperate with my games. I chose Python. I downloaded the tutorial from python.org and in less than 30 minutes, I''ve been able to skim through the first 30 pages of it and I''m able to understand 90% of it all. Is this what learning a new language like? Easy? R.I.P. Mark Osback Solo Pa Mi Gente VG-Force Ekim Gram Productions
Advertisement
Yes, python is supposed to be so easy.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I have learned that the hardest part of learning programming is getting your head around the basic concepts of programming: dataypes, conditional expressions, looping, user defined types, memory concepts, etc.

Once you have the basics, its really only a matter of learning the syntax of a new language. At least until you get into the more advanced stuff.
Yeah, few modern programming languages are difficult to learn once you''ve already learned a couple. Python uses some slightly odd punctuation in places, which might initially throw you for a loop, but it''s not going to put up much of a fight.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
Don''t have much experience with Python, but I do remember learning Smalltalk after C++ and Java. Continually I would come up to something that just seemed too simple and I''d be like "Is it really that simple?" Yes it is. "But, in C++ I had to..." Yes, this is true. "Even in Java, I still had..." Yes, but there''s no need for that here. "So... why would they make it so hard?" Well, it makes it somewhat faster, but in most cases that doesn''t matter.

I''ve had the same experience with other languages (Haskell, for instance) and I''m guessing that it''d probably be the same with Python.
Python is really easy and very powerful. The only problem is when it comes to embedding the language and making your C++ data avalible to python(for scripting). There was too much too deal with and i really didnt have too much time to learn boost.python(i think that is what it was called). As you know im worknig on an RPG with a couple of non-programming friends and needed a scripting engine for them to program all the desing based stuff(dialogs, battle sequences, all the annoying stuff i dont want to deal with). So i looked up Lua. Lua is a smaller simpler language and is very easy to implement with C++. Its a newer language than Python so it less documentation. Python has too many features that i know my non-programming friends wont ever use. So im using Lua.

www.lua.org
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement