Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second depth map tutorial

This topic is 5047 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I''m searching a tutorial about second depth map,I have read the Wang and Molnar''s paper, but some element is not very clear for me.Is there anybody that can give me a link of a good second depth map tutorial? thanks to everybody Ciao Davide

Well, they had two good ideas in the paper, one of which is trivial to use, the other not.

The trivially useful good idea is that if you have closed objects, you can simply render backfaces to a shadow buffer, instead of front faces.

Then when you get z fighting during the shadow testing phase, it is on the back side of the object, which shouldn''t be lit anyway just due to regular clamping of the lambertian n.l term!

The downside to rendering backfaces into the shadow map is that instead of getting shadow leaks, you can get light leaks instead on concave edges.

Light leaks look more wrong, shadow leaks look like cheap radiosity!

onestly I don''t understand what you mean,
have you already implemented this technique?it seems very interesting exspecially because it increase the resolution for shadow mapping, it isn''t perfect when you have a thin object,in this case you should use the PCF and then the shadow seem to be smooth.
I think that, with perspective shadow map, it is a very interesting technique for real time shadow mapping.