Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

getting a 3D model to work in fps game

This topic is 5042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on my first FPS game and am trying to get a 3D weapon to follow the player around. I have been trying to use the following variables that are part of my camera to calculate the position and rotation of the weapon. These variables are: //Stores the up vector of the player D3DXVECTOR3 m_up; //Stores the viewings vector to show direction D3DXVECTOR3 m_look; //Stores the right vector to show direction D3DXVECTOR3 m_right; //Stores the position of the player D3DXVECTOR3 m_position; I have managed to get the weapon to rotate slightly, but it simply does not move far enough. I would be very grateful for any suggestions and help. thanks in advance

Set the weapon position to be a combination of the player''s m_look vector (scaled to be in-front of the player), then scale the m_up and m_right vectors to offset the weapon. Finally add the player position to the weapon.

Ant

I have managed to scale m_look,m_up and m_right so the weapon is in the correct position when I look straight ahead, but when I rotate the player the weapon only moves in a diagonal straight line, it does not follow the rotation of the player. if any one can help me fix this problem I would appreciate the help

thanks in advance

you need to get the At, right and up vectors of the player. Lets say the player is pointing in the Z direction, so the result would be a 3D vector indicating the players forward direction (''At vector'') i.e. { 0.f, 0.f, 1.f }.

The up direction is Y so ... { 0.f, 1.f, 0.f }.

And the right direction is X ....{ -1.f, 0.f, 0.f }.
Ignore the fact that X is -1 rather than +1 as this depends on the co-ordinate system.

You get these values from the matrix for the player. You can then scale these values to get a position offset from the player''s position, for your weapon.

Finally, set the weapon''s at, up and right vectors to be the same as the player''s.