Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where To Begin, HOW To Begin ???

This topic is 5045 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well i''m kinda new to programming, im as fresh as it gets. I have already bought 2 books to get me started, OPENGL GAME PROGRAMMING, OPENGL PROGRAMMING GUIDE 3rd EDITION. But even these beginner books are to hard to start with, I think I need it even more basis. But prgramming is so hard to comprehend, I mean how do I absorb al this information and how do I get the insight of how to put it to use etc etc. Its really overwhelming, but I really want to learn this I really want to very badly. I was wondering if there were any advice to this, or helpfull tips, anything :D Thanks allot in advance :D Cheers D.

If your as new to programing as I was when I started (not to long ago) try getting a book for programing only. That will teach you the basics. OpenGL and DirectX ar after you know the laguage becouse they got there own fetures (which you need to know the laguage to access). If your going c++, I''m using ''C++ Primer Plus'' and ''C++ for Dummies: All in one desk reference'' (go ahead, laugh). They each have a different way to explaine so if you don''t understand one, you can look it up in the other. If it''s another laguage, try something simular. May whant to get them from the library before buying so you don''t get 2 that explaine things in the same jumbuled fashion.

Technology can either save us or destroy us. Me ... I say it will destroy us if Microsoft is the example.

Woah. Well, your first mistake was buying OpenGl books before you even know how to program. If you've got any money left over, go and try to find a C++ book (this site has some really good book reviews, which you can find here). If you don't have money, you can use Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, which can be found here).

Happy programmin'.

Edit: By the way, you're going to want to find a bookshelf for those OpenGL books; they're going to be there for a while.

"Next time a terrorist gets freed after ten months of red tape, I’ll be sure to thank [the democrats]. I guarantee you that if someone is put in prison with the Patriot Act, even in the rare chance they are not a terrorist or have connections to terrorism, they are sure as hell guilty of something." -- A True Die-Hard American Patriot

[edited by - Mscgamer on February 22, 2004 9:56:27 AM]

Thanks allot for the replies, I thought so already but it stated that even a beginner could do it, ill start with the links provided thanks for them, espescially the C++ in 21 days looks very helpfull. I have some C++ books could yall tell me if they are any good to start with then ?

C++ Complete Reference
Essential C++
C++ By Dissection
C++ Programming Language Third Edition
A Programmers Introduction to C++/C#
C++ Programming with Corba

Well these are som ooks, would it be helpfull digging in those first, im really serious about learning to program, just haveing a hard time finding where to begin, thanks for all the help, keep those hints tips and avice comming PLEASE :D Thanks allot !

Do the gametutorials.com C++ tutorials - they help alot. Also try reading C++ Programming in Easy Steps - it's only $10 and starts you out slow.

[edited by - rancid23 on February 24, 2004 4:59:46 PM]

Take a look at the gamedev book section on c++ books here. Get a book that has good reviews and is advertised as a beginners book. There's a lot of c++ books out there, you want one that's written for beginning programmers (such as yourself). Not for pros who want to learn more about the finer point of C++.

Oh I'd also recomend avoiding online tutorials if you can afford the books. I used to learn things exclusively from tutorials online and I've found that books give you better and more information.

[edited by - Monder on February 24, 2004 5:02:53 PM]

The way I started was something like this:
1) buy a C++ book.
2) Skim through it
3) Sit down at the computer and try to make some simple programs. (Not games, that''ll get too difficult)
4) Go back to the book and look up all the stuff you didn''t grasp first time around.
5) At this point, I started at computer science. I can recommend that as well, but if for one reason or another you don''t want to do that, go back to the book, make sure to do *all* the exercises, no matter how pointless they look. It''s a good way to get a feel for programming.

And... Don''t worry about OpenGL yet. 3d is eeevil when you''re starting out :D

I bought a DirectX book early on, and have since used it to just make a simple 3d framework for testing stuff in. (It''s too simple to be called a game engine, really, but it''s handy for playing around with different game ideas or concepts)

Oh, and this is how I did, it''s nowhere near the ideal path. I should have followed the book through, and made all the exercises the first time, but I didn''t have the patience for that, so I skipped around a bit. It all depends on how you prefer to work, and how much patience you have

---------
Life is like a grapefruit. It''s sort of orangy-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It''s got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast

Hey everyone ! Thanks allot for the help, I listened to everyone and follwed there advice :D And downloaded the book thinking in C, if I come up with something I made or need anymore help ill bother you some more, thanks allot for the help guys. Cheers !