Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GCC optimization

This topic is 5041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I would know which are the best optimization options for the GCC compiler to optimice for a pentium4 not HT, this is what I think: -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmx -sse -sse2 -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse -fprefetch-loop-arrays -finline-functions -frename-registers -fforce-mem -fforce-addr -malign-double -falign-functions=64 -falign-loops=5 -falign-jumps=5 -falign-labels=5 just to know how you will do it if you want to optimice to the max for specific cpu (p4) and without using asm, I know that maybe will be only a very bit faster, but I want to know it. Thanks.

I''m not sure about the P4 specifically, but a lot of systems actually run slower with -finline-functions and -funroll-loops enabled. Just because something sounds like an improvement, doesn''t mean it actually is. You might do just as well with something like

-march=pentium4 -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -msse2 -mfpmath=sse

In a lot of cases with recent systems, the processor isn''t the real bottleneck, so you''ll see a better improvement if you try to optimise memory and hard disk usage (hence -Os).

Also, beware of -ffast-math. On modern processors, the FPU math is quite fast enough, and -ffast-math can produce inaccurate results. As one of the Gentoo developers said: "If I want my math done wrong, I''ll ask my cat."

Disclaimer: I don''t have a P4, and I haven''t benchmarked any of these.