Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ddraw full screen question

This topic is 5042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a pretty simple program using ddraw and I’ve made it so it can switch in between a windowed mode and a full screen mode. When my program runs in windowed mode it runs considerably faster then it does when in full screen mode. If anything it seems like the program should run slower in windowed mode because the back buffer has to be blitted instead of flipped. Can anyone help me in finding the cause of this difference in speed? Cause I have no idea. Thanks Ps: At the moment I don’t have specific fps, but I’ll try to get them relatively soon. I don’t know if that would help.

Guest Anonymous Poster
do not use the DDFLIP_WAIT flag.
If you are using the DDFLIP_WAIT the fullscreen mode is maybe slower becaus its default refresh rate is 60HZ.

Thanks, but that must not be it. This is the code I have when I call for the buffer to be flipped in full screen.

while(1){

ddrval = lpDDSPrimary->Flip(NULL, 0);

if(DD_OK == ddrval){
break;
}

if(DDERR_WASSTILLDRAWING != ddrval){
break;
}
}

edit: but I just kind of realized this maybe the same sort of thing, because i made this while(1) loop. Still, i'm not really sure what to do about this, any suggestions?

[edited by - m_red on February 22, 2004 4:16:23 PM]

Fullscreen is usually locked to the refresh rate. If your game can run at 200 fps in windowed mode and 60 FPS in fullscreen, but until the framerate drops to 60 in windowed mode, it will always be around 60 in fullscreen. Also, fullscreen has a lot more to draw. And if it's slowing down below what you get in windowed mode and doesn't seem locked to the refresh rate( 40fps in window, 20fps in fullscreen) then you're bound by the fill rate of your card, too much overdraw.

fullscreen has a lot more to draw, that is, if your resolution settings are different in fullscreen..

-Marv

[edited by - Wicked Ewok on February 22, 2004 11:57:12 PM]