Occlusion Query

Started by
18 comments, last by SlimTimmy 20 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I'm trying to use the new feature in DX9, Occlusion Queries. But I have a problem: IDirect3DQuery::GetData always(!!) returns S_FALSE! I have a Geforce 4 Ti 4200, driver is relatively new. Here's some of my Code (for testing purposes): m_RenderSystem.ClearScreen(true,true); m_VB->Bind(); m_RenderSystem.GetDevice()->SetFVF(sVertex::FVF); m_RenderSystem._SetCullMode(CULL_NONE); cRenderOperation Op; Op.VertexBuffer=m_VB; Op.Operation=cRenderOperation::OP_TRIANGLE_LIST; m_Query->Begin(); m_RenderSystem._Render(Op); m_Query->End(); uint Count; if(m_Query->GetVisiblePixels(Count)) cLog<<"Visible Pixels: "<< Count <<"\n"; [edited by - SlimTimmy on February 22, 2004 3:29:48 PM] [edited by - SlimTimmy on February 25, 2004 11:06:22 AM]
Advertisement
How are you using the GetData() call? It should be like this:
 while (d3dQuery->GetData((void *) &occlusionVariable, sizeof(DWORD), D3DGETDATA_FLUSH) == S_FALSE);  

You need the while loop because GetData() is asynchronous, so it normally doesn''t succeed the first time.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Ok, now it works, but is it really necessary to use D3DGETDATA_FLUSH? I thought, that such a call can result in a lost device.
quote:Original post by SlimTimmy
Ok, now it works, but is it really necessary to use D3DGETDATA_FLUSH? I thought, that such a call can result in a lost device.

Flushing forces D3D to send the query commands to the driver. Without flushing, you could wait a little longer for d3d to pass the commands to the driver, then for the driver to do the query.

Muhammad Haggag
[edit]Correction[/edit]

[edited by - Coder on February 23, 2004 6:17:41 AM]

How long would that be?
That would probably depend on you card/driver settings, because every driver should have a different FIFO pipeline.
Generally I would advise you to send all your occlusion queries at once, and then flush the FIFO. This way the Queries will be queued up and you only need to flush once.

Hey, SlimTimmy, I know you from the ZFX forums, don''t I? ^^

cya,
hWnd
may be ;-)
When wouldn''t you use the D3DGETDATA_FLUSH-parameter?
I did a test and just passed 0 as the last parameter of the GetData-method, the condition in the while-loop (see above) never evaluated to true! Is this a normal behaviour?
quote:
When wouldn''t you use the D3DGETDATA_FLUSH-parameter?
I did a test and just passed 0 as the last parameter of the GetData-method, the condition in the while-loop (see above) never evaluated to true! Is this a normal behaviour?

That is the behaviour I would expect, because the query is never sent to the video card.

The driver internally has a FIFO queue where all commands that have to be sent to the card are stored. When the queue is full, it will be flushed, i.e. sent to the card. There are some operations that cause the command queue to flush, no matter if it''s full or not. These commands include swapping front and back buffer and render target changes. In GL there is also a convenient way to flush the pipeline manually, using glFlush(). I do not know of a similar way to do this in D3D.

So in your case, the query is added to the queue, but since it is never flushed the query is never issued.

Last post was by me, didn''t type in user/pw..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement