Occlusion Query

Started by
18 comments, last by SlimTimmy 20 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by SlimTimmy
When wouldn''t you use the D3DGETDATA_FLUSH-parameter?
I did a test and just passed 0 as the last parameter of the GetData-method, the condition in the while-loop (see above) never evaluated to true! Is this a normal behaviour?

My understanding is that if you don''t specify the FLUSH flag, don''t loop. When you don''t specify the flag, you''re expected to check after doing some more graphical operations (i.e. the next frame or whatever, obviously that doesn''t work when you need the query results for the next frame, but that''s only one scenario).

Muhammad Haggag

Advertisement
quote:Original post by Coder
(i.e. the next frame or whatever, obviously that doesn''t work when you need the query results for the next frame, but that''s only one scenario).
I was thinking about that, because I assume all of those while loops do take a good bit of processing time. What you may be able to do is:
(1) Query the data
(2) If it isn''t ready, just use the queried data you already have (from past frames)
(3) Next frame around, check again
Yea, you''ll be using past frame''s queries, but how much does the scene really change in the span of 1-3 frames?

Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
quote:Original post by circlesoft
How are you using the GetData() call? It should be like this:
 while (d3dQuery->GetData((void *) &occlusionVariable, sizeof(DWORD), D3DGETDATA_FLUSH) == S_FALSE);   

You need the while loop because GetData() is asynchronous, so it normally doesn''t succeed the first time.

This defeats the Asynchronous aspect. Drivers typically have 2-3 frames queued up. The whole point of Asynchronous queries is so that you don''t have to stall the whole pipeline. The correct thing to do is come a few frames later and see if its ready.

You can''t use the asynchronous event to do any kind of optimization since it is a few frames late. The best use for it is for lens flares and corona''s, where you don''t care if its a a few frames behind.

EvilDecl81
quote:Original post by EvilDecl81
This defeats the Asynchronous aspect. Drivers typically have 2-3 frames queued up. The whole point of Asynchronous queries is so that you don''t have to stall the whole pipeline. The correct thing to do is come a few frames later and see if its ready.
That''s how ATI does it.

You can''t use the asynchronous event to do any kind of optimization since it is a few frames late. The best use for it is for lens flares and corona''s, where you don''t care if its a a few frames behind.

What if you are using the query for occlusion culling? You do need that data within a frame or two, but the viewing frustum is not going to move so drastically in the span of 1-2 frames that the entire viewport is offset. Especially since you are running on new graphics cards (this means higher framerates, less camera movement).
quote:What if you are using the query for occlusion culling? You do need that data within a frame or two, but the viewing frustum is not going to move so drastically in the span of 1-2 frames that the entire viewport is offset. Especially since you are running on new graphics cards (this means higher framerates, less camera movement).

There''s a GL demo at Delphi3D.net that uses occlusion queries for the real-time display of a 13 Million triangle factory model. With only 1000 lines of code.

Muhammad Haggag

- Some people already force the driver to synchronize with the renderer, by using queries or locking 1x1 textures that are used to render dummy objects or locking the back-buffer (UT2K3).

- I believe GetData() isn''t intended for asynchronous use only, it can be used syncrhonously when the query results are needed *now*.

Muhammad Haggag

I don't need the results of the query immediately! (I want to use it for lens flare effects) But do I have to create a new query every frame and check it later?
If I use just one query-object then the GetData-methode (always!!) returns S_FALSE. What should I do?

[edited by - SlimTimmy on February 25, 2004 8:43:54 AM]
quote:Original post by Coder
There''s a GL demo at Delphi3D.net that uses occlusion queries for the real-time display of a 13 Million triangle factory model. With only 1000 lines of code.
Thanks, man, that''s sweet. I''ll definetly look into that

quote:the GetData-methode (always!!) returns S_FALSE

Timmy, does it return false even a frame or two later? You could check to see if the data is available. If it returns S_FALSE, do not reset the query (query->Begin()) for that frame. If it gives you your data, then reset the query and start again.
Yes, that was my problem. I reset the Query by issuing an new one.
Which way should I go for a lens flare effect:
(1) Issue just one query at a time, I would get new information only every 2-3 frames
(2) Issue every frame a new query

I think the first method would be ok.
I did a test and it works fine:

static bool DoQuery=true;

if(DoQuery)
m_Query->Begin();

m_RenderSystem._Render(Op);

if(DoQuery)
m_Query->End();

uint Count;
if(m_Query->GetVisiblePixels(Count))
{