Need advice from Game/Mod Developers.

Started by
0 comments, last by hvilleneuve 20 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I need some advice for a project that I am working on. I am an experienced programmer but a newbie in Game/Mod programming. I have a stand-alone application, reading some Hardware sensors from an external port (Serial Por, MIDI port, USB). The value from theses sensors is then translated into a simple floating-point value changing from 0 to 1. Now using this value I would like to interact with different kinds of properties (like the size, the color or the position) of an object in a 3D scene. I would like to use a 3D engine to do that. I took a look at Quake and Unreal because they are open platforms to develop and I would like to take advantage of their rendering, scripting and map editing capabilities. Any other platform will be welcome. Where should I start ? 1- Is Quake more simple then Unreal to program ? 2- Should I write a MOD or can just Scripting do the Job ? 3- How do I pass information from one application to a game system ? 3.A. – Can I use a socket to pass information from one process to the another. 3.B. – Can I directly read an external port inside the Game environment or are there restriction ? 4- Can I easily link object properties to my values. I realize that Game/MOD programming is very complexe, ANY information will be welcome.
Advertisement
Hi, I posted a reply to this in the other forum. By the way, it''s considered bad forum etiquette to post the same message in more than 1 forum at once.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement