Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the .NET framework

This topic is 5041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yes, they have to install the .NET runtime (~23 MB download)
to run any .NET programs. It has to be installed once, just
like the Java Runtime (JVM).

If you created an unmanaged C++ program, then no, they don't
need the .NET runtime.

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

[edited by - tangentz on February 22, 2004 11:31:04 PM]

But the great thing is you can distribute the framework with your game/program so that shouldnt be a problem (unless of course its gonna be a download, in which case you need to give a link to the poor ppl) which will be discouraging to most... which sux...

Also, the .NET framework was (or will be) shipped with the service packs for Windows XP. Windows codename Longorn, the next Windows version, contains the .NET Framework by default.

-
CL Game Studios. Probably.

quote:
Original post by Sijmen
Also, the .NET framework was (or will be) shipped with the service packs for Windows XP. Windows codename Longorn, the next Windows version, contains the .NET Framework by default.

-
CL Game Studios. Probably.

yeah it''s pretty stupid of ms not to have included .net with windows xp sp1 at least. If they want people to start using c# and visual studio 2003 that definitely would''ve helped.
I got visual studio 2003 but i still write all my stuff with vc 6 and opengl since all my executables will run on nt4 all the way up to winxp without forcing people to download a huge file.

If God played dice, He''d win.
—Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos

quote:
Original post by daveangel
yeah it''s pretty stupid of ms not to have included .net with windows xp sp1 at least.

Do you really think this option was extensively considered by them? Most likely it has not been done because they weren''t ready for the legal issues that might come up (I''m sure Sun will bitch that MS is using it''s OS monopoly to push it''s app server technologies, blablabla).

quote:
Original post by daveangel
I got visual studio 2003 but i still write all my stuff with vc 6 and opengl since all my executables will run on nt4 all the way up to winxp without forcing people to download a huge file.

Uhm, hello? You can write programs in VC++2003 that have no dependencies on the .NET Framework whatsoever.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]