Custom 3D file and Animation

Started by
1 comment, last by Programmer16 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I have a couple questions. First, is it a bad idea to use my own 3D files? And secondly, how would I store animation in it and in a program? Thanks! /* I use DirectX 8.1 and C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition) */
Advertisement
It''s not a bad idea. Storing the animation might depend on how you are going to animate the model later on. If it''s frame animation, then you would store(like an md1 model ) each frame of vertices inside the file as chunks. If you''re doing bone animation, you might want to specify bone weights and names for each vertex and relink them when you load it. Just a few ideas.

-Marv
-=~''^''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''^''~=-
Well, frame animation would be easier ( I think), so I''ll probably go with that. Second, With frame animation, would I just store the vertices in the program, and when it comes time to animate, switch, or just load the chunks when it comes time (loading them would take a lot more time wouldn''t it). Or, could I just, instead of storing chunks, store matrices and apply them to the vertices when I want to animate? Thanks for replying!

/*
I use DirectX 8.1 and C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition)
*/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement