• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grey_Havoc

3-d Isometric Resources?

This topic is 5399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been working on a final fantasy tactics -ish type game for awhile but I can''t seem to find any resources on 3-d isometric programming and modelling. Does anyone know of a good link that can help me? What I''m looking for is something that can help me design and implement a 3-d isometric level or board.(not characters, they are 2-d) I''ve attempted to do this in MilkShape3d but its just not working the way I want it to. Maybe someone out there has already solved my problem. Thanks for your time --Grey_Havoc

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I was hoping to design a 3d-isometric game like tactics as well (except, not a strategy game...), there are plenty of 2d sites that deal with height maps, but one of the difficulties with a game like tactics is that the levels aren''t simply height maps, they''re fully-rendered 3d models with 2D sprites added on.
Essentially, all you have in that case is just a 3D view with the camera angle always set to provide isometric view. That''s essentially what you see in a game like simcity 4 as well; according to the designers of SC 4, the game is completely 3D, but they restricted the views to save on memory.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!