• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BouncePup

Terrain Engine?

This topic is 5230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I was wondering if anyone here knows of a good OGL terrain engine that can do the following: Basically I''m looking for something that can support huge landscapes, page data at runtime (in zone chunks) and allow you to cut chunks of the landscape out to make underground areas (not totally required, but it would be nice) Thanks! Nate S.

Advertisement
Yeah, I''ve heard of that engine before. It''s what we''re currently using but it doesnt allow you to have underground areas from what I could find on their website (Any information on how this could actually be performed while still using heightmap based terrain?)

Thanks!
Nate S.

I''m not sure your genre or anything like that, but you can''t easily have multiple level heightmaps.

I plan to use an ''elevator'' system. Where in you goto a model (in this case, the top part of an elevator like device), then it loads the new level.

You could also use a giant model for a cave entrance, and when you enter the model, it teleports you or loads a new heightmap of a cave like structure (you''d just have to not use a roof). Or you can switch to a BSP or something similar, at that point.

Just alternatives to look into.

Yeah I''ve actually thought of most of those ideas.. But we''re attempting to have no loading times, so it makes it harder

-Nate S.

you could probably combine a terrain engine with a portal engine at cave/underground sections
Either way, you''re probably in for some modeling work and some clever coding to get it all done...

btw, i dont see any reason would you couldnt use a high map for both a roof and a cave floor, sure you''ve have to invert the roof but the theory is sound enuff that it could work... hmmm if no one gets there before me i''ve just got myself a project, hehe

My own project combines everything one could ask from a terrain engine. Alas for you, I'll use it for my own game first, it's under developpement. Currently the demo generates infinite lands with fractal with infinite details, casted shadows, etc... I plan to cut lakes and seas or caves in it. But it's not a priority given my current game project. What this means for you is probably several products already fulfill to your requirements.

But still my techno is far better than Demeter

[edited by - Charles B on February 27, 2004 8:24:20 AM]

Charles, is your current project this racing game started on gamedev ? How is it going ? I tried to re-contact you a few weeks ago to get some news but your email address didn''t seem to work..

Y.

@Ysaneya

I moved and changed my email, I''ll send my new one if you want. Because of various personnal life issues it''s been delayed a bit. Still it continues and some great things have already been achieved. We''ve just started to assemble a simple proto and start to merge all the various technologies at once.

I''ve spent a lot of time on a multiplatform SIMD math lib. One code works on any machine and no hand written asm can beat such code because it merges the human and compiler strengths at best. This was very complex to imagine and implement. A lot of docs to read, many tests, etc...

This will be very useful for my terrain engine. I just started rewrite a modernized version of it, and then all the new features will be added and perfectly optimized and debugged in one pass of coding.

In one word I built some powerful tools first and code the engine twice more efficiently next. All in all this was our strategy for the game dev. Well next exchnage by e-mails. No need to hijack this thread more.

@Phantom
I already had the same (rather obvious) idea for some easy tubular tunnels. However the small additionnal issue is to ''glue'' the borders of your roof and base heightmaps if they ares based on a regular grid (discretized x,y coords). Thus it''s basically the same issue as cutting holes (with splines for instance) in the map.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!