• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueSign

Game Programmer Wannabe

This topic is 5319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have always wanted to be a professional game programmer, but it seems like there are so many different things I could be learning it''s hard to choose what I should focus on that will make me the most usefull to a game company. (ie. directX/openGL, collision detection, pathfinding, loading different model types and terrain, animation, object culling, sockets and multiplayer programming, portable devices and console programming, tool development, profilers and lifecycle management utilities, etc.) It seems like you could spend a lifetime just learning all the details about any one thing in this list. So my question is - what skills should I have that would make me the most valuable to a company as a new game programmer? Also, this is probably going to sound really naive but is it possible to use openGL and/or directX to program a console or do you need to write your own rasterization functions for those? Ok, thanks in advance!

Advertisement
my recomandation is after you learn the basics:

C/C++
Windows programming
Math
Game concept
etc..

then make a goal wich company do you like to work for. look in their job requirements and see wich spicific skills do they need

OpenGL or Direct3D or other
C++ or other language (you should learn C++ first no mather what)
Assembly
Cg or ATI''s equivelent
etc...

You should know about everything at least a bit.

directX/openGL - search for it... you will find enough about it

collision detection - belongs to the first one

pathfinding - artificial intelligence... be sure that you''ve understand the main concepts.

loading different model types and terrain, animation, object culling - belongs also to the first

sockets and multiplayer programming - again... you have to understand the main concepts (it''s not that hard)

portable devices and console programming - not really important but quite interesting

profilers - necessary for every programmer

It seems like you could spend a lifetime just learning all the details about any one thing in this list.

So my question is - what skills should I have that would make me the most valuable to a company as a new game programmer?
The most valueable programmer would be something who works 18 hours a day, have a degree, is 18 years old and have already 10 years of work-experience... and of course he works for free.

Also, this is probably going to sound really naive but is it possible to use openGL and/or directX to program a console or do you need to write your own rasterization functions for those?

No, it''s not possible.

To cut a long story short: read as much as you can, learn as much as you can and program as much as you can. If you really want to break into this industry make sure that you have some references that you can show and before I forget it: you need a strong knowledge of math ;-)

A bit confusig this post but I hope it helps.

quote:
Original post by Jockel
You should know about everything at least a bit.

It seems like you could spend a lifetime just learning all the details about any one thing in this list.

To cut a long story short: read as much as you can, learn as much as you can and program as much as you can.

exactly my point as to why dont study everything, you would never start working cause learning never ends. concentrate on one thing and specialize on it.

such as optimizing for atholon, intel, or console game stations. using 1 graphics library such as opengl, direct3d, etc...

you could always learn slowly while you work but get in race ASAP

You make it sound like its a chore to learn more than you need too :D, Just learn what you need to make a simple game first, then you will think (*mini thought bubble* Maybe [insert something here] would make my game better...) well, it will and learning it will not be hard per se, at least it may seem that way. Programing is fun most of all! learn what you need to satisfy your self, and that is a trait that most people look for, self drive...

Just kidding... Im only in Intro to Programing/CS1... I just wanted to sound smart... But maybe you will find a smidgin of truth in that :D

*runs away*

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!