• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biorobic

Game Programming Gems

This topic is 5318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

on my search on amazon for a new game programming book, i found "Game Programming Gems". I heard only good stuff about this book - i was surprised to see more than 4 different books with that title. Now my question: are Game Programming Gems 2 and 3 only updated books of "Game Programming Gems 1" ? I dont think so... and im not new to programming or game programming (im no pro though) - which of these books casn you recommend me?` another book im interested in is 3D Game Engine Design by David H. Eberly. I read there''s a lot of math covered - im not afraid of tthis, but please post your oppinions if you had read the book. bio

Advertisement
Game Programming Gems
Game Programming Gems 2
Game Programming Gems 3
Game Programming Gems 4

These are all completely different books. The are collections
of different articles.

Also check out:

AI Game Programming Wisdom
AI Game Programming Wisdom 2

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

They are all good. 2''s not as good as 1 and 3 but it is still worth getting. I learnt more stuff from those books than any other. I think it''s becuase it doesn''t spend 3/4 of the book explaining about "How math works" like most books do. I still need to get 4, but when I last checked it out they were still working on it. That was a while ago so it''s probably out by now. I would recomend these to anyone. They cover a wide are of topics and they cut to the chase.

-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

I own GPG 1, 2 and 3, and they''re all really good - i''d recommend them to anyone. GPG 1 is probably the best, since it tends to be some more original stuff.

quote:
Original post by UltimaX
I still need to get 4, but when I last checked it out they were still working on it. That was a while ago so it''s probably out by now.

GPG4 should be out after the GDC, so expect it early April this year.

and like everyone else i recomend these books, good stuff in ''em all and to the mix I''ll add Graphic Programming Methods, written in the same style but dedicated to gfx programming

quote:
Original post by Biorobic
another book im interested in is 3D Game Engine Design by David H. Eberly. I read there''s a lot of math covered - im not afraid of tthis, but please post your oppinions if you had read the book.

I agree with everyone else that the GPG books are good. This one... well, saying it''s got a lot of math isn''t the right way to phrase it.

They start using mathematical notation that nobody in our office is familiar with by something like page 5. Throughout the book you''ll see pages of unfamiliar mathematical notation. Now, I''m sure that if you are a university math major, you have a chance in reading this book. If you''re the typical comp. sci student, you''ll be completely lost.

As I said, nobody in our office can make heads of tails of it. One of our engine programmers bought it by accident. He''s been trying to GIVE it away for about 6 months, but nobody wants it.

Now, if you''re still not afraid of it at this point, it''s likely to have lots of great stuff, and will be a great addition to your library.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!