Win32 or MFC

Started by
7 comments, last by Kilvarn 20 years, 1 month ago
I am getting back into programming after a long break and wondered what is more industry standard for game programming Win32 or MFC? I use Visual C++ 6.0. I would rather not waste my time re-learning MFC again, but would like a few opinions on this matter. Thanks in advance for your replies : )
Advertisement
Depends.

Are you writing a game or just some type of tool/small app?

Since MFC runs ontop of Win32 it will never be as fast as Win32 so it''s generally not used for Game applications.

However I have written a few small tools in MFC just because it tends to be alittle faster development wise and I can get the tool out quicker.
I agree with ChaosPhoenix. If you''re making some kind of application, go with MFC. It''s very well organized and therefore it''s easier to code. And the documentation is great.

If you are coding a game, since when you use MFC you *can''t* use Win32 i''d stick to Win32, because it''s lower level.
- blew
Win32 is delegated to game engines and gui framework builders. MFC is used for making tools, it''s a bit slower than raw win32 but the featureset outweights the speed advantages of win32. I made a tool in both apis and prefer MFC. Win32 reminds me of coding in asm, low and dirty but you have great control and is time consuming.
WTL is also worth considering.
MFC makes me itch. it''s a horrible kludge really.

if you need speed of execution, use win32 or wtl.
if you need speed/ease of development, consider using the managed c++ and the .net framework. (no kidding!)

mfc is largely deprecated - as much as ms wants to deny it...

---
craig(at)cod3rz(dot)net
---craig(at)cod3rz(dot)net
if you are going to write fullscreen app/game forget mfc, it''s definitely not useful - it''s far too much complicated for game programming, on the other hand, with win32 you only need few lines of code to set-up a window, once you have a window you can concentrate on rendering graphics, game logic etc.

ingen.
ingen.
While I probably wouldn''t use MFC for a game, don''t knock it. It is fairly simple to program complex interfaces in (and trivial to get simple interfaces going). Things like level editors and program support tools are a natural for MFC. The big reason why I wouldn''t use it is that it isn''t hardware accelerated.

Having said that, I''ve made a whole line of programs where I had embedded OpenGL windows into my MFC apps to have high speed 3D graphics within a complex (the app was extremely complex, so its interface was a tiny bit complex) interface.
If you''re doing a fullscreen game does it really matter? The GUI code should be minimal in that case.

--
Dave Mikesell Software

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement