• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mister Stewart

Should I upgrade to DX9?

This topic is 5324 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My computer currently has DX 8 on it. I was just wondering how much different is version 9 to 8? I''m not looking to take advantage of any new features of 9, I''m still at the stage where I''m just learning the basics of game programming. So with that in mind, is it worth upgrading? Thanks. "Dear MacGuyver, here is a paper clip, a rubber band and a straw - please save my dog."

Advertisement
If you''re coding with DX 8 and not playing any games that need 9, I don''t see much point.

My computer has DX9 but I''m using the DX 8 SDK.

Also, if you upgrade to DX9 and start using the DX9 interfaces, when you''re ready to use some of it''s new features, everything will already be set in place for you. You won''t have to update your code from DX8.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!