Should I upgrade to DX9?

Started by
4 comments, last by Mister Stewart 20 years, 1 month ago
My computer currently has DX 8 on it. I was just wondering how much different is version 9 to 8? I''m not looking to take advantage of any new features of 9, I''m still at the stage where I''m just learning the basics of game programming. So with that in mind, is it worth upgrading? Thanks. "Dear MacGuyver, here is a paper clip, a rubber band and a straw - please save my dog."
"16 days?? that's almost two weeks!!" Tucker
Advertisement
If you''re coding with DX 8 and not playing any games that need 9, I don''t see much point.

My computer has DX9 but I''m using the DX 8 SDK.
The D3DX library in DX9 is much improved over the DX8 version. I''d say it''s worth upgrading just to be able to use the much faster ID3DXFont.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Also, if you upgrade to DX9 and start using the DX9 interfaces, when you''re ready to use some of it''s new features, everything will already be set in place for you. You won''t have to update your code from DX8.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
The best reason to upgrade to DirectX 9: D3DSpy. That little program has saved me hours of debugging.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
D3DSpy? What''s it do?

"Dear MacGuyver, here is a paper clip, a rubber band and a straw - please save my dog."
"16 days?? that's almost two weeks!!" Tucker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement