using well known songs in a game

Started by
3 comments, last by ade-the-heat 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, I have three related questions. If I create a game that has well known songs/tunes in it by well known artists what are the issues involved in getting permission to do it in the following situations (assume the music is by, say, Marilyn Manson: 1. I create a free game, free to download, free to own that has the music as backing during the game (ie like GTA has music on it''s radio stations) 2. as 1. above but I try and sell it. 3. I create a free game, free to download, free to own that has characters and scenes loosely based around the songs and characters that the band has created. 4. as 3. above but I try and sell it. In any case, if I need to get permission who do I approach - the record company/ the band''s management ? cheers Ade
Advertisement
Free or not has nothing to do with it. It is about copyright protection. Many companies come down hard on people trying to use images/sounds/etc that they own. They do this in order to make sure no precedents are set in which they could lose control over things.

I would say you would have limited success in getting a license from any big name things now. Your best bet may be to find some independent labels that are more willing to take a risk.

-------
Andrew
PlaneShift - A MMORPG in development.
Everyone of those cases is illegal without permission.
the record label generally has the rights to the song. so you need to contact them. expect to pay lots of money.

-me
thanks guys - I''m feeling a little depressed now...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement