• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qbranch

domain name question - switching ip addresses

This topic is 5226 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

this may seem like a wierd question but i have a domain name that points to my server. now, i am about to move the website to a new server with a different ip address. is there a way to change the domain name to point to the new server? i would think there would have to be. but i cant seem to figure it out. i dont know if any of you are familiar with melbourneit, but that is where i got the domain from, actually one of their resellers. i have tried to contact both of the companies and niether one of them will help me at all. i can even log into my account at melbourneit but there is no tool to do this, only one to change which domain server it is on, not the ip address it points to. i have been trying to contact them now for about 4 months and niether will respond with a useful answer. the only other option i have, which is a good one, is that i found the person with a better domain name that i like and she is willing to sell it to me. she has hers thru yahoo domains, and im afraid if i pay for it, ill be in the same delima because i will need to make it point to my ip address and not hers. i would just get a new domain name, but i dont want to lose the familiarity of the one i have, and hers is the same as mine, just a .com instead of .net. i know this seems like a dumb question, but does anyone have any advice or experience to share with me? any help would be greatly appreciated. [edited by - qbranch on February 27, 2004 11:02:14 AM]

Advertisement
first of all, i *highly* recommend www.totalchoicehosting.com. (and no i do not work for them). I have bought several domains from them now ($11 each p/year), and they have a domain management tool there. When i switch actual servers, they still hold my domain name and i can manage them all there and host my site from any other company. For changing servers, you should just be able to change the nameservers and the switch will happen over the next 48 hours as the change propogates through the net.

So like DomainA hoste with CompanyA. Nameservers point to
NS1.COMPANYA.COM
NS2.COMPANYA.COM

just change the nameservers to the new host''s (you need to ask them)
NS1.NEWCOMPANY.COM
NS2.NEWCOMPANY.COM

If you host the site yourself on your own box, i''m not quite sure about that, since i''ve only hosted remotely.

changing the ip number requires a DNS change. usually the people who you bought the domain from will do this for you. however, if you''re going with a new host, and you own the domain, you should be able to tell them to do it for you.

- Jeremiah

inlovewithGod.com

thanks for the reply, but i actually did have the site hosted with freeservers.com, and now i am in the process of setting up my own server at home to host it. do i actually have to set up a domain server at my location? can i do this with just windows xp pro and IIS 5.1? i am new to the whole domain name and server thing.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!