GDC = AI_Fest; while(GDC == AI_Fest) {CheerWildly();}

Started by
70 comments, last by IADaveMark 20 years ago
Holy autonomous agents, Ferretman! Have you looked at the schedule for this year? This is not bad at all! (Other than the fact that they misprinted one of your sessions again and scheduled 2 on Wednesday.) Not only do we have your 3 roundtables... There are 3 days worth of serial sessions on "Embodied Autonomous Agents", Brian Reynolds has a session on "AI and Design: How AI enables designers", There''s one entitled, "Would the real emergent gameplay please stand up", There''s one on Friday called "Beyond Finite State Machines: Managing Complex, Intermixing Behavior Hierarchies" That''s 8 different sessions and, assuming they fix your schedule, they are all at different times! Not too freakin'' bad! Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Advertisement
There''s also Bryan Stout''s lecture on potential fields for reactive navigation I believe.

Hang on, deja vu

That''s what you get for hacking a BB by posting code to it!!

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

Would someone mind telling me what happened to the posts in this thread please?
Odd... it seemed that once the thread got completely off topic and rediculously tainted, everything just evaporated. Certainly these isn''t anything valuable missing, is there?

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

Just because a thread gets off topic isn''t sufficient cause to delete certain posts in it. The ONLY reason posts get deleted is if they are in serious violation of the GD.net TOS. Usually in that instance, the thread either gets closed or it gets deleted and moved to a special forum viewable by moderators only so it can be reviewed. If it''s just a single post, then a moderator can either edit the offensive portion out or delete the post. In this instance, every single reply was deleted. If a moderator has deleted these posts from within the thread, simply because they felt they were off topic, then that person has seriously breached the boundaries of their responsibilities. If it wasn''t a moderator, but rather a forum bug, then we need to identify it. If it was neither, then it was likely a forum hacker. Again, we need to ascertain whether this is the case.

Was the content important? That''s not really for one person to decide. I certainly don''t like having my posts deleted for no reason. I''m sure others feel the same way. I''d like to get to the bottom of this, since in Ferrettman''s usual absence, I take responsibility for these forums (actually, Ferrettman hardly ever shows himself in these forums these days...)

Timkin
heh, well the moderators had the choice of dodgy statements to justify their actions. My moody initial reply got everything off on the wrong foot . Appologies!

Alex

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

It''s that new autonomous forum moderator Either that or my friend''s old boss is in the homeland security h4x0r department now and didnt like me revealing his under-the-fuselage antics.

Come to think of it, he kinda looked like Tom Ridge, in a neckless kinda way.

Peace
Hey Alex... does this sound familiar?

quote:Session Title: Embodied Autonomous Agents

Description: Autonomous agents are entities that perceive their world and act within it. Embodied AAs have their world equal to the real world, in which they move, sense and are sensed, act and are acted upon. In our virtual game worlds, they are the entities we see on the screen, acting within the small worlds visualized in the display, as opposed to agents that operate on other levels, such as making strategic decisions or giving advice to players.
The demands on embodied AAs are high: they are now expected to act only on information they should reasonably perceive; their action animations have ever-growing standards of realism; they may even be expected to show different attributes and personalities from each other. This roundtable provides the opportunity to discuss the issues developers face when implementing embodied AAs, and share perspectives and possible solutions.
Each day of the roundtable will focus on a different stage of the "perceive-think-act" cycle. The first day focuses on sensing and perception, and issues such as data transmission (line-of-sight checks alone can take up more than the rest of the AI combined), data content (what exactly is sensed), queries vs. interrupts, and focus of attention. The second day focuses on decision-making, and issues such as agent memory, individual world representations, beliefs, goals, personality, etc. as well as reasoning techniques. The final day covers action, and issues such as action representation, control over the animation, realistic action, physics, collision detection, etc. The specific issues discussed each day depends on the desires and contributions of the participants.

Takeaway: The attendees come away with a better appreciation for the issues involved with embodied AAs: the problems developers have to deal with in their implementation as well as the solutions and ideas to try that they share with each other.

Intended Audience and Prerequisites: Programmers, animators, designers, or any other developers who wrestle with the issues involved with implementing embodied AAs.

Blogs I write:

quote:Original post by alexjc
There''s also Bryan Stout''s lecture on potential fields for reactive navigation I believe.

Alex, did you listen to that audio from Eric''s roundtable session last year? Isn''t this along the lines of what we were talking about with the soccer/football player navigating toward the goal with the ball?

Blogs I write:

quote:Original post by Timkin
Would someone mind telling me what happened to the posts in this thread please?

To quote from a famous book by a famous author:

"Contradictions do not exist. If you think you have found a contradiction, check your premises and you will find one of them to be in error."

Check your premises, Timkin. Nothing happened to any posts in this thread. Move on.

Blogs I write:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement