• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impossible

Ikaruga style backgrounds?

This topic is 5228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Any one have any idea on how they did the backgrounds in Ikaruga? Screenshots don''t really do the movement justice, so I suggest you look at a video. I have a few theories... 1) The level is just one big mesh: This is what the first scene looks like. Seems like the level is one large mesh that just gets rendered. The end of the scene in the video seems to give this away, the entire level is drawn at once. There could be some LOD involved though. This seems a little prohibitive for complex scenes though. This mesh could also be in some kind of spacial partitioning structure (quadtree? octree?) for culling purposes. 2) The level is built out of instanced meshes. There is a lot of repetition in the backgrounds and there are areas where it looks like the same mesh is repeated over and over again. Maybe they just have a few instanced meshes that they repeat? Also, there are some sections that seem like they can scroll infinitely (the boss battle for example.) Maybe they just keep looping the same mesh over and over again similar to the way you would handle an infinite 2D background? The tricky camera angles also make me question whether the level is a complex 3D structure, or just a 2D grid of repeated meshes. It looks like the levels are all pretty much 2D grids (much like it the backgrounds would be in a 2D game), but this is hard for me to determine.

Advertisement
Seems like it''s based around tiled meshes to me (explains why there is a lot of repetition).

-------
The problem with common sense is that it is never common.

2D (sitting on the same, axis aligned plane) tiled meshes or 3D (arbitary position in space)? This makes a pretty big difference when it comes to culling. I''d say 2D, but it''s hard to tell.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!