How to write a SimCity clone?

Started by
2 comments, last by PolyVox 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I''ve been considering trying to write a small simcity clone, and was wondering if anyone knows of any guides or tutorials for this kind thing? I''m more interested in the actual AI/Logic, rather than the actual visualisation of the city. I''ve a few ideas of how it could be done, but was hoping there might be some resources to guide me in the right direction... Anyway, if anyone knows of anything i''d be glad to hear about it. Cheers, David.
Advertisement
My first thought was to recommend you go to Simtropolis.com and check out their mod section for SimCity 4. There are quite a few details of the inner workings scattered all over there, in the forums, articles, and such. Heck, even manuals and strategy guides for all versions of the game might go into enough detail to get an idea of how to design at least some components of the game. GameFAQs.com should have a nice list of such guides.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
You can look at the source to Pocket City and see if that helps.
Thanks! Those are both good suggestions. I''ll look into them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement