• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mlw22481

E3 Question

This topic is 5321 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently a student at Texas State Technical College and am going for Graphics and Simulation programming. I am very interested in starting to go to some of the game conf. and expos. I know that people that are not part of the media and are not in the gaming industry go to E3 but how. I looked at the site and didn''t see any way for a student, going into the gaming industry, would get in. Anyone know what I have to do?

Advertisement
If you''re not a member of the press or an employee of a game company, you''re not supposed to be able to get in. Now obviously people lie in order to get passes, but I believe they''ve been trying to crack down on that.

??
I thougth the last day of the e3 was public acces (as can be read in this book)

edit: you do still have to pay for tickets though

[edited by - picklejuice on February 27, 2004 3:48:21 PM]

If I were you, I'd seriously consider going to GDC rather than E3.

As far as I know from talking to developers, E3 is mostly an event designed to show off new games to the press. If you go, you'll get pay a couple thousand dollars to see the lastest games in action, but you won't have much of a chance to interact with the developers because they're too busy running around from interview to interview.

GDC on the other hand is an event for developers and future developers to interact with each other and network. You'd have a much better chance of actually being able to talk with the people making the latest games and probably be able to learn a whole lot more than you would at E3.

But if you really really want to attend E3, you could shell out $35 dollars to join The IGDA and start your own "gaming website", like mlw2281GameReviews.com. Those two things would probably be enough credentials to qualify for E3.

(Just a disclaimer: I haven't actually been to either one of these confrences, so I could be totally wrong.)

[edited by - dominicds on February 28, 2004 1:52:26 AM]

Getting into E3 isn''t all that hard, its even easy to get in for free, if you only want the exhibits. Else it will most likely cost money.

The easiest way, the way I got in, is to get a job at a retail store that sales games. Thats all you need. If you work at a retail store like that you''re in for free. You go to the E3 application, you have to fax or mail it in, and choose the free package for exhibits only. It takes some of your personal info, but it''ll get you on the floors where alot of the programmers hang out.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!