• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minada

OpenGL OpenGL fps pb

This topic is 5317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I recently bought a new PC, but I have one problem : when running my test program on this PC, fps is around 15, and 125 on the old PC. I have the same version of development tools and last video driver, so I don''t understand what does thas :/ Can someone explain me ?

Advertisement
1) Please post your old computer setup and the new one setup.
2) Did you reformat and reinstall everything? Or did you just insert old harddisk?
3) This the exactly same video card you had on the old PC, right? You didn''t upgrade?
4) Make sure you are using the AGP card and not a on-board graphics chip.
5) Check in the BIOS if some settings (AGP aperature size, AGP speed, etc.) are different compared to the old computer.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

You''re probably not getting hardware acceleration. Call glGetString(GL_VENDOR) from within your program. If it returns Microsoft Corporation then you''re using software rendering and you should probably uninstall and reinstall your drivers to fix the problem.

After reinstalling nVidia drivers, it appears that software rendering is still used instead of hardware :/

How can I change that ?

Answering to CPPMasterPoppet :

1) Old : AMD Duron 700, GeForce 2 MX, Windows 98 SE, drivers nVidia 53.03 for Windows 95/98/ME.
New : AMD Athlon 1800+, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Windows XP Pro, drivers nVidia 53.03 for Windows 2000/XP.
I use both Visual C++ 6.0.

2) No, they are 2 separates computers.

3) No. (see 1. )

4) Yes I'm sure, OpenGL games work perfectly :/

5) No, AGP settings are the same (AGP 4x).

[edited by - Minada on February 28, 2004 1:33:45 PM]

If other OpenGL programs are running correctly, the problem is likely in your initialization code. What pixel format are you asking for ?

Y.

I''m using OpenGL with the SDL library, so my initialisation code is :

SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_ALPHA_SIZE, 8 );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, 8 );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, 8 );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, 8 );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, 32 );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, 1 );

flags = SDL_OPENGL | SDL_ANYFORMAT | SDL_FULLSCREEN;

if(!SDL_SetVideoMode((int) scrWidth, (int) scrHeight, (int) scrBPP, flags))

etc ..

But this worked perfectly on my old PC :/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!